pjnyk

So after everything a decision had been made. We’re pivking up an 02’ outback this Friday. 310 assault carbed, 400hr, mint condition and the owner took great care of it. Got a lot of suggestions for sslxi’s but for their listed price and the work needed on them I feel the Moomba was a better deal. This is our first ski boat, maybe an upgrade eventually. I’ve read good things about them and now I’m praying I can find a boom to do some short rope footing.

• Baller
I was an SSLXI owner and yes, they're great, but if the Moomba was the better deal, you've probably done a wise thing. I didn't ski behind the 98-02 generation (with the rounded tail), but I did a lot of skiing behind an 04 and 07 and they were capable boats.

• Baller
Growing up I skied behind outboards, and stern drives. We would literally catch air on the wakes. At 22 off there is a bump, but nothing compared to what I was used to. To me the boat was a huge improvement and everything about it was so much better. Now I own a pristine 98 196CB...It took me a bit to get used to what I call the dip or trough. A 3 blade prop did produce a softer wake than a 4 blade.

• Baller

28 off 34 mph, use weights to balance the boat. If not skiing the buoys skiing shorter is no big deal. My daughter is a relative beginner and if we free ski together she is at 30 mph and 28 off even behind my Nautique. Nice length for pulling drills beside the boat and minimizes the wake for her.

You may find yourself narrower as a skier...but big wakes are no fun.

I've skied an outback at 28 off 34 and shorter from there in the course it was fine, perhaps best at 32 off.

Bottom line experiment with weighting for balance of the boat, line length and speed even if the line/speed are not your usual.

Course skiing is a different animal...gotta get wide and slow down so as a beginner would need longer lines, slower speeds, and the wake is gonna be big.