Surprising course damage from Wallys

Lars

• Baller

Due to a crappy spring I was delayed in getting our permitted course out this year, but I did most of it by myself and finally got it raised on memorial day. (insta-slalom course with stainless mainline, Jim's old course)

Then we had a no wake restriction for 10 days earlier this month, so I was pumped when that was lifted last week, but then a neighbor texted me that the course didn't look right....

ngxxca3hc4hc.png

Took that with my gopro.

All 6 of the turn buoy gate arms were buckled or snapped in half! Here are the 4 that I removed:

sauooqnsazdb.jpg

We figure someone must have been dragging an anchor through the middle of the course and then jolted the mainline which snapped the 6 gates. the entry and pre gates were unaffected. Don't know how they didn't also break the main line, or how someone could boat around so carelessly.

Fortunately the same neighbor had an extra course and we worked on replacing the gates and he re-tensioned it. Happy to say I've gotten two great sets in this week

29kk5impx80z.jpg

Our lake association added a blog post to the website about exercising care around the course, but it never ceases to amaze me the damage inflicted on our course. Fortunately I think I can repair the broken gates with parts from home depot to keep as a backup in case it happens again... :(

• Baller
There is a course on Minnewashta? Don't worry, I'm not coming over - but I drive by there twice a day and was unaware there was one there. Been years since I've had a boat in that lake, mostly stick to Minnetonka.

• Baller_
Feel your pain. Good to see you have it back up so quickly. That matters if it was busted up for nefarious reasons as the perpetrators won't get the satisfaction and you've sent the signal that you won't give up in any way.

• Baller
From the damage, it looks to me like someone hooked something and applied a huge amount of tension on your mainline. Know a guy who unintentionally did that to his course while trying to straighten it. It almost had to come from one end only. Maybe a Wally hooked an end gate or ??? Hope it was an accident and won't reoccur!

• Baller
@Lars, when I had a cable course (mine is anchored now), I did reinforce two broken a pipes with stronger between the gates and had no problems. With a stainless cable, you would probably be safe. We also had one with super heavy-duty PVC for the full arms and never had problems- except with sagging and the need for intermediate buoys to prevent it.

• Baller

Most people have no idea there is any hardware below the surface of the water in an un-anchored course. I once had a very upset boater tangled in my SS mainline with about 30 ft of it wrapped around his prop. Seems someone had damaged an arm so they "helped" me out by wrapping the buoy leads around the pipe to bring the broken arm to the surface and then left the area.

Life on a public lake.