How long do you hold it?

Keith_Menard

• Baller

After an awesome opening 30mph pass, I kicked up to 32 and struggled to get 3 balls. I have been replaying it in my mind, and as @ALPJr keeps telling me, I need to hold the handle longer. I think that is what killed me today...cross wind through the course and I have a tendency, especially if I am early, to let the handle out really early.

So when do you decide it's time to let go?

• Baller_
I ski 30's easy, make about half my 32's, get 3-5 balls @ 34mph for reference. My best passes are all with "long holds", which mean I get a longer pull & get wider/early before releasing and initiating my turn. When I let go early I end up narrow every time and then have trouble finishing the turn and getting angle (at least that's my read on my skiing!)

• Baller

I've seen beginners hold on too long. You want to keep the handle in close to your hip. I've seen people keep both hands on the handle to point that it rotates their shoulders toward the boat, you don't want to do this.

At your level I think its a good habit to build on but I'd be willing to bet your problems are with stack and timing issues. If your stack is good at 15off you can create enough space that you could run 15off without releasing the handle at all. If you have any videos post them up, you'll get lots of help here. If you do a search for Handle Control there are a lot of info. Also if you haven't read Bruce's article:

https://www.ballofspray.com/home-page/tech/87-what-the-heck-is-handle-control

• Baller

Ditto on Bruce's article.Read it many times and if i remember right there's also a nice pix of Chet holding the handle after the second wake...

Look at Chet and the guy in the next pix.That's where the difference is.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

As long as possible, I was shown to try and run easier passes with 2 hands the whole time.

When things feel funky at my easier passes I like to focus on keeping 2 hands on the handle as long as possible, if it feels awkward to me then it confirms I’m doing something different (from whatever was not working before)

• Baller
I think you're asking the wrong question(s). Handle release or handle control isn't going to make or break your 32/15 pass. If you're hitting a wall there you have to focus elsewhere and it may just be water time at that point.

• Baller

@gregy. That handle control link is a must read for everyone. Read that and watched Terry Winter at quarter speed, just to see how he manages the handle in slow mo. The handle pull in after the wakes and timing of release was amazing to try and implement. Got wider, easier than ever before.

That helped me run an all time BP this morning of a full pass at 28off.

Super pumped!!

Thanks for sharing the link.

• Baller

@"Keith Menard" sometimes going to the extreme can illustrate what's missing.

Normally as you bring the speed up I'd wager you`re losing connection. Also.I'm not sure I would up your speed every made pass, run a clean one 2 3 4 times then bump.

• Baller

@Dacon62 ....that article is what prompted the question...there was a lot about WHERE the handle should be, but not much on when it should be released. Over the past week or so, I have been replaying my runs in my head a lot (anyone else do this?) and I realized the handle was up around my shoulder on the release, so no matter what, I wasn't getting back into position to cross the wake or even finish my turn.

I backed my speed down to 28 this week and just worked on getting the handle low for the turn and today I made all (ok, except one!) of my 32 passes. My ski partner also noticed I was tucking my non handle hand into my stomach, rather than getting it back.

So, worked on a lot this weekend and going into the week at least feeling like I know how to ski...last week, I wasn't so sure.

What Terry Winter video did you watch?