15 TXI vs 19 TXI

addkerr

• Baller

Hi guys,

Looking at some boat options at the moment. Has anyone skied the old txi vs the new txi.

Interior and looks wise I love the new 19 TXI but havent skied it yet, anyone skied both old and new shape and notice any difference on the wake and pull feel?

Any notes would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Baller_

I really liked the 2015 TXi. We had the 2015 and 2017, which is essentially the same as the 2019. Our 2017 was OK, but I preferred the 2015. It drove and tracked better than the 2017 and skied great with a solid pull. One issue to be aware of with the latest TXi is some loss of power when it's warm. We never had that with the 2015, but I experienced it with 2017 and 2018 models. Unless they have done something to deal with the air intake temperature, I would expect the same issue on the 2019.

It's always best to ski before you buy and, in this case, ski in some warm/hot weather and really warm the boat up to judge for yourself.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

New one better hole shot, way more floor space, and rides flatter even if just a driver. Old one if you didn't counter weight rode slanted to drivers side and pitched spray starting at 32 off at the skier.

Both drive smaller than they seem in terms of handling.

My buddy had a '15 last year and a '18 this year...the '18 is way better. The '15 is a nice boat, but the '18 way better both driving and skiing.

• Baller

We get a new TXi every year at my club so I feel like I'm a valid source on this topic. The 2015 was my favorite boat that we ever had at the club. First year they had a new throttle lever, PCM engine, and forward shifted engine. Fit and finish was great and that boat was FANTASTIC in all ways. I loved it. Maybe it was a great day at the factory, I don't know.

Our 16 was not as great, and the 17 and 18 didn't seem as great. I will say that the 2019 is perhaps the best one ever, perhaps dethroning the 15. Fit and finish is way up from 18 IMO, and it drives and skis really well. Outstanding boat and IMO a jump up from 17 and 18. Big fan of the 19, first Malibu I'd personally buy besides that 15 which will forever hold a place in my heart.

• Baller
For me, I'd prefer the '15-16 if I were shopping a TXi. I like the looks better and I love having a trunk. It just feels nicer and less utilitarian. Biggest beef with the first gen TXi are the metal side pockets. If you could somehow work the ski racks of the new one into a '15-16, that'd be the ultimate IMO.

• Baller

Had a ‘13 TXi and have been in and skied behind a ‘17 TXi club boat. Neither of those are the specific years you mentioned but are the same hulls I believe. Also got a chance to get into and ski behind a Prostar.

Always been a Malibu guy but chose a ‘17 Prostar as my next purchase.

• Baller

Thanks for the insight guys. We are pretty close with our local dealer and would choose them over competition purely for the service they offer. Only question is if the new 19' is worth dropping $ on top of our 15' as trade, or keep our 15' and run the hours up higher.

I love the look of the 19' TXI especially offering a CB option. My only issue is what it will offer vs our 15' in terms of doing anything better. A nice problem to have I suppose. Im out in Orlando at the end of the season will try and grab a set behind one if I can find someone who has one and if I haven't already placed an order.

• Baller
The '15 skis great and is probably a better all round boat for a family enjoying the water. The dealer does make a big difference on your overall experience so it's nice you have one close with a good relationship. Can they not provide you with a demo ride behind a new 18-19 TXi??

• Baller
A few good comments on the 2019. That's good to see. I wonder if they are still struggling when the temps rise. FWIW though, 2020 will likely see the TXi with a new engine. That boat is already getting the M5Di engine down in Australia. That combo should be coming to our shores next year is what I'm hearing.