My Fuel tank is slow to fill at the pump

runciano

• Baller

Having had a marina job and run the fuel dock I can tell you that most boats fuel horribly.

Make sure your vent line doesn't have any sags which will trap fluid and then not vent, and then either buy one of these type of things http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MCCUFF&CartID=

Or I used a rubber bearing cap from a bearing buddy with a hole cut in it.

When people would show up with fountains that had 300+ gallons in 4+ tanks you had to find something that worked.

• Baller
Sometimes if the boat is tilted toward the vent it will keep shutting off just from sloshing around in a relatively flat tank. That can happen if filling at the dock and you are standing there to hold the nozzle or if boat is crooked on the trailer. I have also found that even when the boat is level, sealing up the fill hole around the fill nozzle with paper towels can help but you still need to go slow.

• Baller
Same here, 99 Sport Nautique...some pumps seem to be only 100% flow or off (with nothing between) and fueling is nearly impossible...A tall funnel seems to help in my case...I did cut off the last couple of inches of the funnel so it barely fits in the fuel filler- then I aim the nozzle so the fuel "swirls" in and that at seems to help as well.

• Baller
Common on every boat I've ever dealt with, but I usually get decent flow by turning the nozzle 180-degrees so the nozzle angle matches up to the angle of the fill hose. If I go in the other way, it's an instant shut-off.

• Baller
Like @BraceMaker said. It's the vent line going from the gas tank to the vent hole. It either has a sag in it, or it has a filter type thing that is plugged and needs to be replaced. Coincidentally, I just had to fix this on my car last month. It's a 2004 Toyota Camry and I couldn't even use the slowest setting on the gas pump. It has a evap canister that absorbs gas fumes that had gotten plugged. After having it replaced, I can now fill up with max flow.

• Baller
On my 1989 Prostar the only way I can fill on anything but super slow speed at the pump is with the nozzle an inch or so above the "all the way down" position. However keep a close eye on the level, because when filling all the way up the shutoff can trip too late and you might get gas squirting out of the vent. I usually just leave the key on and watch the gauge for when it gets close to full, and then just stop.