Tach reading high on 6.0L SN 200

jercrane

• Baller

I have a 2018 Ski Nautique 200 with 6.0L engine and about 105 hours on it. It's a base model so it has the analog cluster which I personally prefer. I've noticed that this season the tach is running high on the analog cluster. Comparing to the RPM reading on the ZO in rec mode...

Runs about 3550 rpm at 34.2 mph on the ZO

Tach reads just over 4000 rpm at same speed

Also the analog tach basically pegs at 40mph while the ZO is in a reasonable 4800-4900 range

I am of course assuming the ZO is more accurate than the analog cluster. If that is the case is there a way to calibrate the Tach? or do I just have a bum head unit that I should replace.

Its a not a big deal but I like to keep an eye on my RPMs and when ZO is in comp mode I feel like I'm flying blind a bit.

• Baller

@TEL oh for sure but that entails pulling the boat, taking to dealer, waiting for them to assess, order parts, slot in their schedule, and then do the work. All the while I am boatless as the season is just getting good and the water is finally a respectable 70ish degrees.

If I can do the work myself at night in my boat house I generally prefer to go that route.

• Baller

Let’s tap the breaks here a bit.

The gauges aren’t governing the process of the engine, ecm and the system moving the boat. They are just an analog device giving accurate or inaccurate information.

My Rpm gauge is off by around 1,500 edit (1,500 not 15000) At idle it’ll show 2,000 and some days 900. It means nothing. The needle will borderline get stuck. Same thing with 2-3 other needles. I don’t care.

To swap the gauges, it’s pretty darn simple. You’ll need your hull id and call the dealer for a new gauge under warranty or not. It’s thumbscrews to pop the pod forward and open it up. Plug and play essentially. Just need to acquire the gauges.

My warranty replacement gauges gave been sitting on my desk for 3 years while we run buoys. I’ll replace the gauges when we sell the boat. 2014-200 with 865 hours.

Those gauges don’t matter unless your that kind of person/skier who worries about petty stuff.

• Baller

I talked to tech at Nautique. There is actually a calibration adjustment on the back of the gauge. They said to switch tweak that with a screwdriver one notch to knock down the analog gauge slightly. Also he confirmed as I suspected and as everyone implied the ZO reading is pretty close to dead on.

@scoke dislike because of the obnoxious ad hominem comment at the end. You provide a bunch of great perspective and info and then insult the reader ("worries about petty stuff") at the end for little to no reason. Great info ... crappy attitude.

• Baller

You’re welcome! Let us know how the calibration goes.

Actually I wasn’t insulting the reader but based on your theory, the author. Was that you? I don’t see the dislike on my login. Can you swap it to a thumbs down? Will it really matter?

• Members
Sounds like a common problem, tach in my '17 CC 200 is all over the place and needle sticks some times. As for speedo Cal. there is a knob under dash on right side for that but I've found if you set it at one speed it will be off at another.