1999 prostar 205 vs 2002 Malibu wakesetter 23 xti

pjnyk

Got presented with an opportunity to trade in our outback for either of these boats. Keep in mind we typically barefoot and slalom ski, we do occasionally wakeboard. Neither of these boats should touch the ski course as we’d use a J-craft or 94’ PS205.

Prostar

- No hour meter (~700h)

- Perfect pass (may not be functional)

- 350hp V-8 (corvette LT1?)

- One cracked seat

- Tower w/speakers and 2 racks

- 700lb ballast tank

- Stored in boathouse and mechanic maintained

- Outside is faded

- No trailer

- 15.6k CAD

Malibu

- 500h

- 350hp Indmar motor

- Trailer

- tower w/ racks and speakers

- MLS (don’t know how many lbs)

- Stored in boat lift. Looks to be in better condition than the PS

- I believe it’s on the SV23 diamond hull

- 29.9k CAD

There aren’t any sunsetters nearby in the right condition for the right price. What do you guys think? I’d assume the XTi would have the better slalom wake but it also weighs more so kind of a washup. Would either of these be an improvement on the outback?

• Baller

23 XTi is on the v25 hull. It won't be an improvement over your Moomba. If it were a 21 XTi, it could possibly have the sv23 Diamond, which is what you'd want.

PS205 could fit inside the 23 XTi. For slalom, get the PS205.

@MISkier as nice as it is, with the CAD being at the value it is right now I don't know if we'd be able to swing it. But @UWSkier comment makes me wonder, at that price and with those features, why has no one snagged it?

• Baller_

@pjnyk, the only thing I can think of is that it doesn't have Zero Off, and that could be the drawback for some buyers. If you were interested in it, there might be someone here that could check it out for you. I'm about an hour from that area. There are a couple others on the forum that might live near there as well.

Speaking of Zero Off, I recall that some 2007 Malibus could be converted to Zero Off. I know the LXi could be converted, but not sure if the LX had the same setup.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.