SkiDoc Orbital Camera Mount

Horton

• Baller
I've had one for a couple years and very pleased with it. I am a TC and also use it with a camcorder and transmit the signal to a DVR, and pleased with that as well. The camcorder has a great picture, Hi Def, and I notice even less movement in the picture with it.

• Baller_

I bought one a couple months ago. Have used it a few times with limited sucess.

The orbital function is to sloppy in this one and has a lot of inherent vibration that transfers back into either camera or smart phone.

We have utilized other examples of this device for tournaments but this one I just bought seems to sloppy.

• Baller
I’ve been trying to come up with a quicker attachment method to the pylon. Has anyone come up with an easy modification that will speed up the process? I don’t have access to a machine shop so I’m limited to hand tools.

• Baller

I bought one in January to basically coach myself this summer. Its been a process getting to a point where I can have confidence in getting decent video.

1st: I had a problem with the orbit. It wasn't turning smoothly. Come to find out it had warpped and it was catching. I email skidoc and sent it back to them. I guess they tested it and made some adjustments and sent it back. It seems to be working better now. Not sure what adjustments they made.

2nd: the phone holder that came with it is flimsy. The vibrations and bumps from the boat knocked my phone out. Wasn't even worth setting it up. And when it did record before falling out, the video was seizure inducing to watch. I didn't want to give up just yet so...

3rd: Was going to go with a go pro so I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077NX9WLJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4th: Using a gopro is very inconvenient for quick analysis of skiing. A phone is much better to quickly watch a set. So then I bought this to use with what I bought for the gopro.

https://www.amazon.com/Livestream-Universal-Smartphone-Attachment-Connect/dp/B016OQMFD8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=gopro+phone+mount&qid=1562164402&s=gateway&sr=8-3

There are even better, more secure phone mounts to use but this was a cheap option.

I tested it out over the weekend and I worked pretty well. I have a Samsung s10e and it performed surprisingly well. I also rigged up my wifes point and shoot camera that takes video if I want to use that but with the wakeeye app, the phone is the way to go. Just open the app, put the phone in the holder, and the driver doesn't even touch it. I will continue to mess around with the phone video setting to get the best picture I can, but I think I've got it set up good enough for the time being.

• Baller
@Zman I have used a couple different ones, both are the same size. The one is a JVC Everio. I attach to the mount, open the window, rotate the door and close it with the viewing window facing out and it works fine. The other models are Sony, similar size and weight.

• Baller

I've been using one of these for several years now and have found a few things that make or break the experience.

The phone holder makes a big difference. The ones that come with it stink. I've had my phone land on the floor several times with the stock one. That and it's super easy to bump the phone and make it so your skier is only skiing on one half of the frame. Get a few of this style. Phone holder. They clamp the phone better so it's less likely to pop out, but seem to somehow also dampen vibration better. The kind with the screw you adjust to clamp the phone down like @Horton included in this video transmits the most vibration in my experience.

The phone camera can not have OIS (optical image stabilization) or you'll get funky wavy effects regardless of how much vibration dampening you attempt. OIS is designed to remove shaking from the frequency of unsteady human hands, not the vibes of a small block GM mill at 4000 Hz.

The new Orbits come with a tension adjuster but I find that as loose as possible is best. If you don't do this, lighter skiers will often turn out of frame a little then snap the camera towards them when they hook up. This can give the impression that the skier isn't maintaining a tight line. If you have a sticky spot, I've found teflon bike chain lube helps smooth it out. My older one, I also disassembled and shimmed lightly to free it up even further.

Wakeye app is your best friend. For me, most of our skiers are between 15 and 32 off. I run on my Android camera at 2x zoom level and it's perfect.

Sample Video. Ignore my goofy ski buddy's commentary. :)

• Baller

Here’s a very secure mount that doubles as a stand/phone grip:

GRIPT Secure Smartphone Rig - Universal Tripod Adapter, Phone Hand Grip and Smartphone Accessory Mount - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0185CS0AG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KXmhDbZG38G4E

And I’ve been using this modified vibration damper on a homemade mount and on a Wakeye this season. Big help, for little money. You’ll need to get some parts to adapt it. PM me if you want my .02:

GoolRC Gimbal FPV Camera Mount with Anti Vibration Plate for DJI Phantom Walkera Qr X350 Gopro Hero 3 3+ 4 CF Carbon Fiber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NSF79EO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_m0mhDbV6NX52D

• Baller
@C5Quest try it, but I kinda doubt it. Tried it on my Pixel 3 which has screen right up to the corners and I couldn't get a magnet to stick. Was hoping to upgrade to a better image sensor than my vibration-free HTC M8 but no dice. :(