Perfect Pass doesn't hold throttle cable tight when head unit is off...

Fast351

• Baller

I have a 2001 Ski Nautique with a mechanical multi-line Perfect Pass (software 6.5ng). When the head unit is turned on, it functions exactly as it's supposed to. It holds speed, throttles up correctly, etc.

When I turn the head unit off, the throttle cable loosens on its own. So the other day my dad was out and hadn't been on my boat yet so I figured I'd show him how it accelerates from a dead stop. Did it twice. First time was normal, boat goes WOT. Second time I had a dead stick for the first 45 degrees of rotation from idle, and the boat only accelerated part throttle.

If I unplug the servo, the throttle stays where it's supposed to.

Anyone else seen a problem like this? Usually this doesn't bug me as this boat spends its life with Perfect Pass engaged, but it's kind of annoying when you're driving it around without perfect pass.

• Baller

Check the PP cable connected to your throttle. If it's too tight, or too loose, it won't work correctly.

Also, here is another test:

Key off, put the throttle into gear about half to 3/4 full. (I usually put it in reverse 3/4)Then go to the servo and rotate the knob back and forth. The throttle should adjust as you manually move the knob. This should indicate if your spring is working okay.

• Baller

If you power down the head there is no power to the servo. Not enough friction in the servo motor to withstand the tension put on the cable and the cord starts to pay out as the servo motor starts to unwind which now gives you partial throttle.

This was the case on all 3 boats I checked. Power must remain on for servo to have power and remain tightened.

• Baller
By power down, I meant "turn the system off" on the head unit. In other words, hit the on/off button, but the display is still on. Does the servo remain powered in that case? I will check the other ideas...

• Baller

Do a phase check (it’s on of the tests in the system), check your return spring is not too short and heavy and what are the PP voltages with the engine running (boat in the water)

You have an unusual problem. Sounds like PP can wind the Servo back on as it slips but not lock it still. The pull would probably be funny too. check voltages first and post them here