Handle Damage

camjam

• Baller

I've broken a couple Connelly Carbon V's and one V due to handle damage (pops). Every spring I go through a spell of a couple weeks where I have problems (back issues) on my ups which results in the ski getting hit by the handle. Usually takes two years and then the top starts separating from the bottom of the ski at the tip.

I've tried repairing the damage with JB Weld, but the repair is a temporary fix. It seems once the top starts to separate, it's only a matter of time before the separation continues down the ski.

I really like the Carbon V, but is there a ski that will hold up better?

• Baller
You should probably get a wide-ride ski to start the season on before moving over to the V once your form and strength are back. That and you should reevaluate how you're starting/positioning your body and ski before the boat takes off. Finally, reevaluate the holeshot your driver is giving you. Maybe in spring, you need a little softer pull and should drag/stay compressed longer.

• Baller

I have been thinking of adding foam insulation to the tip of my ski. The new skis are so light they just don’t hold up to handle pops like the old ones.

Think high density foam with adhesive. Very light and may absorb some of the shock.