Exploring options for perfect pass (99 response lx)

scottyspin

Hi everyone,

Earlier this year I went in 50/50 with my dad and got our first ski boat. The boat has been everything we could have asked for as we go out and enjoy it at the lake at least once a week. The one thing I wish the boat had was perfect pass system so that my dad would have a little bit easier time maintaining a constant speed while driving. My family is new to boating and I am teaching them a lot but would also like the speed control so that we can take the boat through a course. I am looking at options for a perfect pass system. I have found that a brand new system plus tax is going to cost around $1500, which is a bit out of my budget. I was wondering where I should look for a used system that would be quite lower in price. If I were to piece together a complete set what are all the necessary parts that I need to track down? I am in no rush, just want to explore some options.

Thanks!

vsp5go4tl3o3.jpeg

• Baller

Congrats on the purchase, fantastic boat! I ski behind my cousin's '99 Response LX often, that wake for slalom is about as good as you'll get. Keep an eye on ski-it-again.com, under speed control. There are units that come up every so often as folks upgrade. Unless you're a hardcore buoy chaser, the "classic" Perfect Pass systems will suffice quite well. There is a Star Gazer system on there now for $500 but it is for drive by wire (too new for your boat). I have the classic PP, added the switch, and it suits me very well. But if I ever upgrade to SG, I'll post my classic on there!

My cousin's doesn't have speed control either, so one trick I use is I have a GPS speedo app on my phone that I put in the cupholder so the driver gets more accurate/quicker speed than using the boat speedos. Also I tell them to pay attention to the RPM's as well.

Good luck and enjoy the boat!

Kevin

• Baller

To track down a used system you will need;

Servo

Master Module

Gauge

Wiring harness(es)

Correct length throttle cable and cable end for your engine.

Paddlewheel speedo (if you wanted to trick)

All components must be "compatible" ie. cannot have a new multiline display and an old master module.

I will tell you I spent more than 3 years trying to successfully do the cobble together route and it is NOT worth it, very few people are simultaneously removing a whole systems, and the individual components add up to more than 1500 separately.

• Baller

@BraceMaker is right, it's very tough to get a working system going from used stuff, and a lot of it is obsolete and no longer supported, so any future failure's leave you stuck. The Wake Stargazer is $1200 I think? If you don't ski tournaments it's probably good enough and well worth it imho.

• Baller

Agree with the above. You'll chase your tail trying to cobble together a system. Yes, people will often post Master Modules for older versions on SIA, but they never post their servos as those work with the newer systems.

Wake edition S with recreational slalom mode would be perfect for you if you're not skiing in a course. If you do eventually decide to chase buoys, the upgrade from S to 3 event is easy.

• Baller
@scottyspin call the people directly at perfect pass and ask them whats the best price you could get one for. They are great. I did this 3 years ago and was blown away at the price they gave me. PS If you found a few friends that needed PP and ordered together you could get an even better price.

• Baller
I agree with @foxriverat, call them for sure! If you still can't afford it, drive by hand for the rest of this season and make an investment next spring. You won't regret spending the extra to buy the new, right system for your boat. Plus they are amazing to deal with even once you buy it. Their customer service is second to none.

• Baller

I bought two different used systems by going on ski it again, finding an old

Boat that has a working system and then offering to buy the system alone from the seller figuring that the seller would not get much extra for it with selling the boat.

• Baller
@scottyspin I just took an older PP v6.5 out of my 04 Response LXI. I have everything except servo motor as I still need that. Message me if your interested and we'll see if we can work something out.

• Baller

@PatriotBlue been watching his development. Pretty neat kit, applaud him for trying to prove you can do it on the cheap - I wonder if as he continues development if he will actually be able to stick with the mantra.

If he could integrate some form of ZO accelerometer function it would be a very attractive idea, but I don't think he's very interested in that part of the game.

• Baller_
@scottyspin : speed control will be an excellent investment. Another place to check for parts is Great Lakes Skipper. You can piece a system together, not hard but finding the components these days is pretty difficult and they are scarce. If you go that route, well worth reading the manuals available on the PP website. Also well worth learning the differences between the various levels of the PP system from classic to SG, etc.