Ripping skiers off?

PacMan

• Baller

Does anyone know or have done business with Marty from Discount Wake and Ski and Mountain Water Snow Sports shop in Bend Oregon? I have a friend that paid for a ski, Marty said he had a line on an HO VTX that had a defect, the top pattern wasn't aligned properly so he could get it cheap. ($800) My friend paid with his card and has not seen the ski, never received a tracking number, and has been unable to contact Marty since. He's emailed and called multiple times and nothing.

What's with this guy? He apparently has two businesses or is at least involved in them.

• Baller
I had a dealing with him. Bought a ho ski. It was sent but it was a blem and was supposed to be first rate. The blem was a saw slit near the tail. I was able to talk to him at the time, very nice to talk to had all the right speak, but no movement as to getting an exchange. I shipped it back to him contacted my credit card company and filed a dispute. They handled it from there and got my money back. I've seen him selling product long after my experience, so I have to assume he comes through sometimes. Me I have very little tolerance for anyone who isn't responsive and has my money. The credit card company is your friend! Good luck.

• Baller
I bought a ski through him this year. I got the ski but had to push him on shipment, etc. When I did question the shipping, he sent me past shipping details for another customer in what felt like an attempt to put me off. I did get the ski in about 10 days, not the usual 3-4 days that we all have become accustomed to as of late. I doubt I do business with him again.

• Baller

I had a similar issue like @Weappa. I purchased the ski, but several days went by with no update on shipping. I emailed them, and gave it a couple more days, but no response. Emailed them again with no response.

I finally tracked down the phone number to the business and luckily got an answer.

Several excuses were made as to why the ski didn't get shipped out, but it finally made it to me after a

couple of weeks.

The ski was in new condition when I got it (which was the important part), but the customer service was a little sketchy.

• Baller
Anytime you are going to buy/order waterski gear online I would highly recommend performance surf & ski out of Orlando, they are simply awesome in terms of customer service, knowledge and speed getting your new gear out to you.

• Baller

@ThePantsManCan

Yes he did eventually get his ski but it took while, can't remember exactly how long. Nerve-wracking nonetheless with no word or shipping confirmation. I guess just keep trying, best of luck to you.

• Baller
Always buy with credit card, then you are protected, only ever pay cash when you have the ski in your hand, the time you are going to have to pay with baited breath is maybe on skiitagain using paypal, not sure how well paypal protection works if at all.

• Baller

After a week of silence, I (kindly) demanded a tracking number. Waited another day and received one. Then for three days it said “parcel on it’s way to facility”.

So I requested a refund. He sent me my money back. I’m guessing he doesn’t have any of the skis in his possession. I get that it’s a second business, but a poor way to go about it...

• Baller

Performance S&S is great. Bill is a great a guy who puts a lot into the sport. I buy 75% of my stuff from Perfski but don’t forget about Miami Nautiques International. They have always been great online retailer for me. Carrying some lines that perfski doesn’t and has awesome MNI gloves.

I think our society has become accustomed to that two day shipping that we get from Prime. I know I have. But just a decade ago seems like if it took two weeks to ship across country we were ok with that and we didn’t know what a tracking number was. Always use a CC online and at the gas pump. And lastly there’s always that 3 sided triangle. Good, Fast, and Cheap. You can pick any 2 sides but you can’t have all 3.

• Baller

Thanks everyone for the kind words here. As a business, we are trying to adjust to what I call the "amazon effect". Consumers are being conditioned to look for the cheapest price, and free 2 day shipping as the "norm". Product knowledge, customer service, and actually being able to talk to someone who has used the product becomes less and less of a priority for the masses of consumers. Obviously the community here is a bit different and for that we are grateful...as our ability to support the sport, and sites like this only happens from the support of the people who shop with us. But you are the exception.

The internet and "anybody with a website's" ability to display and sell product has clouded the retail landscape. Add to this manufacturers allowing online vendors to list closeout items on amazon without ever having to buy them....while stores like ours who HAVE bought them are trying to just recover the money we have in them...well it is NOT a healthy landscape for specialty stores. Add to this EVERY surfwear, and most wetsuit companies selling direct to consumer...and only promoting their own websites vs trying to send consumers to shops that invest in their brands.... well its ugly for us as retailers. Many of these companies are corporations that publicly traded...and all they care about is the bottom line and profits. As such, direct to consumers sales where they make more money are their sole focus.

I love watersports....and my passion to help people improve the quality of the time on the water is what drives me to work harder now than I ever have....but I can tell you that specialty stores like ours need your support. If you have shops in your area that support waterskiing, offer great customer service....support them. Beware of the online stores who don't stock the product they sell or support grassroots waterskiing...as they really don't care for the sport...only taking your money. These are the same guys that mocked waterskiing for years as being lame....but now.....sell the products on amazon without stocking the items they are selling...and the manufacturers are supporting them.

Sorry for the rant...but let me finish as I started.....Thank you again for the kind words here. We will continue to strive to work to earn your business and your trust. And unlike Amazon...we DO pick up the phone and will talk to you. We love water skiing...and want you to love the gear you buy from us. Bill

• Baller

@perfski I have bought a bunch of ski equipment through you and have never had anything but a good experience. You guys saved a ski vacation of mine last year when I damaged my ski a week before and bought a VTR with free three day shipping.

I almost exclusively purchase through you and I don't want anyone seeing this as bashing or suggesting anything contrary to you being an excellent store and great supporter of this community.

I am posting this solely so you are aware of this so you can better yourselves and continue being my favorite watersports store.

My last purchase of a Radar HRT and HO RTP through the online storefront has not been good. After paying $33 in shipping costs for 1-7 day ground shipping the HRT took 2 weeks to arrive. The RTP still has not arrived. The Radar binding apparently shipped direct from the manufacturer's factory and the HO was supposed to have shipped from the factory, not from your store inventory.

The assistance from your staff has been great I am sure the RTP will arrive. It's just the cost of the shipping considering the amount of time it is taking to receive the items is concerning and unusual.

Again I wish to reiterate that I am not saying any of this to bash you and I intend to continue buying from you. Thank you for being a great company who are usually easy and pleasurable to deal with.

• Baller
@perfski is awesome. Bill just helped me with an issue on a ski I bought. 1st class in every way. The support he gives really is worth it as opposed to saving a few dollars from somebody that just has a website.

• Baller

@perfski Yess!!! I agree with you in every way. This other so called retailer would not communicate and only sent 4-5 word messages back to pacify me. Regarding the Amazon effect, I get that too. But this other retailer didn’t make any movement in Ten days and didn’t want to communicate. That’s weak. You fine folks have NEVER taken that long.

I have been to your store, in fact, after the stated hours and you guys stayed open to entertain my family that just drove 21 hours straight! There is nothing like it!!

I wish I lived closer, i’d ask for a job.