What am I doing wrong?

• Baller_

It seems as though you are pulling right up until you decide to turn. There doesn’t seem to be any edge change and preturn to allow the ski to cast out and begin to turn naturally before you force it to.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

A couple years ago I wrote an email to my nephew named Bryce who was just starting to get aggressive about his skiing and told me that the problem was the darn slack in the rope. I wrote an email to him about it after watching him ski. I just copied and pasted the text of the email into a google doc here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CYIOkrcebn8AaD2XFO7aaeH9fvaswMEQOF7anul-dL8/edit?usp=sharing

Aside from this, there does also seem to be something going on funny right in the heart of your turn, but I bet it's likely that you're suddenly acting funny because you know the hammer you're about to get hit with of a slack rope. Reducing the slack problems would probably fix whatever that problem is to a great extent.

• Baller
@Mastercraft81SnS I would also try not to pull your arm in when you decide it is time to turn. Leave your arm straight and focus on rotating your body to your straight arm. Your position after edge chance into your offside turn is nice! The ski is going forward because you are pulling with your arm.

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller
Also, if you try skiing a little "narrower" for a few sets (don't travel as far away from the wake before turn) you can probably get a better feel for pre-turn and casting the ski out as mentioned above. This will also get you to stop pulling after the 2nd wake.

• Baller

Ok, I'm probably not the most qualified to give advice. I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.

Completely agree on having to edge change right after the second wake. Then wait a bit for the ski slow down and carve a turn on it's own time instead of when you force it to. Don't force the ski around, that's harder to control and puts you out of position. Also, you are bending at the hips while crossing the wakes. When crossing in the position you are in, the ski will bounce over the wake and you have a hard controlling. Keeping your hips up to the handle with your arms straight as you cross the wake will let the ski cut through. Another way to think of this, the boat has a ton of power so trust that it's going to keep pulling, lean back, and keep your arms straight.

Sorry if I didn't describe all this well but there are a ton of videos out there describing it all. Keep it up and just remember to not force the turns.

I finally got back out skiing today. I wanted to thank you guys for the info. It made a big difference with my skiing today by not pulling past the second wake. I wasn't trying to pull the rope in and keep the rope tight and my arms straight. I feel like I'm back to my old self skiing behind the boat.