2020 VAPOR

ROBOT

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving everything I am feeling when I'm on this ski. I am 185lbs 34mph -22 to -35 skier riding the 67".

I like how level this ski rides. Ski also carries speed well everywhere. I am still amazed with the space it gives me going into the buoy. Another big deal is how well the ski turns and is smearing on my offside 1,3,5. This is allowing me to set more angle than I have ever set on my weak turning side.

I only have 5 sets on it now but can say each time I have skied it my confidence is rising. I did set a season practice PB on Tuesday which was my fifth set on the ski. I can see my 19 will be collecting dust.

• Baller
@C5Quest I was paddling long and shallow. Pretty sure he was paddling short and deep. Running old practice average scores right now. Doesn’t sound like much, but I’m running them with very poor technique. I haven’t skied much this year so I’m on the tail, nose, tail, nose, dip a shoulder, stick the handle in the water, and holy s#!t, I still ran that pass? I just keep getting around the next buoy

• Baller

Switched 10 days ago from 2018 66 to a 2020 66. I had just run 1@12M/55 for a new tournie best so it seemd like a good time to change skis. Tried 2 sets on stock fin (Brooks set it up) then changed to CG fin. Both fins were at 6.957, 0.777, 2.445 wing at 9 binding at 29.5.

Liked the ski right away, onside turn then building angle into wake was awesome. Tip stayed down more than on 2018. Within a couple of sets felt like my scores were equivalent to '18 ski. Easy transition from '18 and this is coming from a skier who feels weird when I change a palm protector. Even after my ass drops back on my offside turn and tip goes up (regular issue for me) I just get the tip back down and the ski builds angle into the wakes.

Only change I have made is to move boots forward 1/8 and ski still feels great maybe even better. Ran my 13m both sets today and got outside 2 at 12m and it was real windy.

Shame it is September, I think there is more there. Thanks Chris Rossi and Brooks, this is a great ski!!

Cheers

Ali

• Baller
Everyone seems to be downsizing on their Vapors. I'm 6'3 and vary between 195 and 205. I ski 32 as a M7 and typically run mid 38. In 2018 I had a 68 Vapor. In 2019 I had a 67 Senate Pro and a 69" Vapor, Currently I'm on a 2020 69" Vapor. My ball count has remained the same due to a gate and patience problem at 38 although my 35's are smoothing and way more consistent. I'm tempted to try my buddy's 2020 68" Vapor, but the question ( finally) is why? Some very good skiers have suggested that you should ski on the biggest ski you can turn.... why not size UP. Also, does height matter? Should a 5'8" 200 lbs person ski the same size as a 6'5" 200lbs person. I can see why a 36mph skier would size down from a 32mph skier but what about the other factors I mentioned

• Baller
I would imagine height could play apart. I’m 170-175 at 5’7. My 66 Feels right. 67 Might be seem big. I’m curious to try one that’s set up correctly. Might add some stability but as I’m starting to cut the rope into -32 and beyond maybe feel big? To each their own I guess. I’m feel in between on the senates also. 67 feels big while a 65 a tad short. But the 65 senates have more surface area than a 66 Vapor so could get away with it. . ??. An input from @brooks or @Chris Rossi?

• Baller

so I have 12 sets on the new 67 2020 vapor ski and have run -35 9 times 2-38 is my new norm.

behind different boats and at different courses.

now I need to figure out my gate at -38

awesome problem to have at 54yrs young.

IF you have not tried a new 2020 you should put it on your short list of skis to try!

29 7/8 fb blk reflex Wiley 3/4 RB b

2.504 6.836 74.6 9 wing

DFT on 3 different calipers all read different, Goode slot DFT 75.7, my other ski partners read 75.4

so just moved dft until it felt good in my gate glide and turn in.

DFT is the toughest measurement to share IMO

• Baller

@LOTW I think you would like the 65" more for sure. You could ride either, but I'd go with 65". To give you an idea I'm 6 foot 175 and ride a 66" Vapor

When you measure DFT @Deanoski the most important thing is to be consistent, always line up in the same spot on the caliper. I'd recommend sticking to only one caliper when you measure your ski, you'll always get different numbers when using multiple.

After 7 years on a couple Nano Twists I am now on a 66" 2020 Vapor. Honestly I can't tell much difference. The Vapor is faster since my Twist is worn out. Both skis turn super hard and gain as much angle as I want. Haven't skied much this year due to injury but went right up to my practice average on first set.

I thought I would add my settings on here as I have been riding a 2020 with a whisper fin for some time now and can honestly say I've never had a ski create so much space in the preturn

9 degree

29 1/2 but I think most people would enjoy 29 5/8

I am coming off riding 67s for the past 5 years and am currently on a 66 2020 but I may experiment with the 67 soon

• Baller

@Icebergman

Great you are creating lots of space ahead of the buoys.

For you or others, what are your key moves or thoughts to prevent turning back in too quickly and creating slack?

I seem fine on offside, but tend to turn too sharp and quick for onside. The boat hasn't moved away enough, then loose rope.

• Baller
Thanks @Iceberman. My 66 should be arriving tomorrow. Going to try a few sets on stock fin with numbers Matt Rini gave me before plugging in my whisper fin. Can’t wait to get it dialed in. Keep us posted with any numbers that are working well. Currently running a 2019 Vapor Pro with a WF on the more “stable” numbers. Seems to be working well. Excited for what the 2020 has in store.

• Baller
Have a ski buddy that tried the 2020 and he looked really good on it, but went back to his 2019 thinking it performed better for him. Can someone tell me why your height matters in fitting ski size? I don't see how height changes how the ski sits in the water like weight does.

• Baller
@Swini. Crap, my bad. Fat fingered the DFT. Should have been DFT .765. Ran those numbers today except Bf 29 1/2. I usually end up further forward so will give 29 1/4 a whirl tomorrow. Have a tournament this weekend now so may run stock fin one more set and then plug in my WF. Need to get dialed in close before the end of week.

• Baller
I put 8 sets on a 2020 over the last couple of weeks (in mostly windy conditions). I skied a 4 pass set on my 2016, moved the boots to the 2020 and skied another 4 pass set. I was able to run a couple of 28s right off the dock, a 32 and a couple at 35. I'm not usually able to ski well when I swap skis without a couple of sets, so that was promising. I'd say it's very similar to my 2016 though the fin settings differ. I used the stock settings on the 2020 and my 2016 is set up stock except for 5 thousands short on length. It's a ski I can move to if my 16 breaks down, but didn't provide any PBs or anything that would cause me to drop 1800.00...

• Baller
Have 3 sets on my 2020 so far with mixed feelings. Wants to grab crazy angle off the ball but still playing with Bf position. I got anxious and put my WF on at 2nd set as I’m wanting to ski a tournament this weekend and don’t have time to go through all the testing of long/shallow and short/deep. It’s a rocket ship with the WF. But so far I’m not comfortable on it yet. Have to adjust my pull due to so much extra speed into the ball but the level rocker allows for a quick shut down. Honestly not ready to sell my 2019 but look forward to more testing and getting dialed in