Kids slalom ski?

moski

• Baller

Ideas for a kids ski at their level?

Think I can get away with a ski that they can use together??

They each have summer birthdays.

Daughter turned 12 in July - left foot forward.

Son turned 10 in June - right foot forward.

They both weigh around 65 lbs.

pulling both around 26mph.

Right now they are on old late 1980s kids Connelly ski.

Mainly open water skiing but there is a ski course that we head to and play in it.

Next summer I’m going to send both of them to a week long ski summer camp.

Here arjn3ru715ba8g.jpeg

Well videos are not attaching. Here are picture of each. Need to figure how to attach videos. Maybe I’m putting too much thought on this. But just like to get a ski that will help them improve and also that they can grow into next few years, we have 2-3 more trips before we have to put boat away, maybe wait to get on till next spring. 83p9yg7hbu1m.jpeg

• Baller

Pictures make it look like your daughter is a bit more advanced than your son?

Based on the limited info in the pics, if I had to buy one ski for both of them right now I would probably go for a 65" TRA. You're likely to find it packaged and/or priced better with a small prime or vector front boot and a basic RTP. I personally would call that just fine and go for it. Big range, and once their feet are too big for that, it's time for them to have their own ski anyway.

@Bruce_Butterfield is a well respected source around here on kids stuff. Bruce, why do you recommend a Wiley's? I can't imagine not having my wonderful lace-up modern bindings.

• Baller_

I’ll admit I haven’t paid much attention to the newer soft bindings, but the ones i have seen are big on comfort and light on support. Many also raise the foot up off the ski which is a huge negative IMO.

Wileys are tried and true, keep the foot close to the ski and have predictable release.

The crew at Wileys is also great with customer support and will be sure you get something that fits right.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

@escmanaze - you are correct. She is a bit more advanced then him. What’s a TRA??

Sweet. Be glad to hear from @Bruce_Butterfield too. I don’t know how to put videos up on this site. Guess YouTube is way to post a video, I’m trying to figure out YouTube account. Let me know of other ways on to do that....

• Baller

@Bruce_Butterfield ——. Thank you Bruce. I bought 2 trick skis (used) for kids and i to see what ticking is like and holy cow, man o man hard to get are feet in those Wileys boots.... ill call up Wiley’s and get some help. I might try a wileys on my radar vapor to see how it compares to my radar vector boot w/ laces.....

Ive always done a RTP for my rear foot and same for wife and kids too...

• Baller

My gf is loving her girls Omni

First slalom tries on a combo failed handsomely last season, flop right over.

First run on the gOmni this season was like she's been skiing for years.

I'm against the combo+slalom experience now for beginners. I think it adds fustration and difficulty

That said, it has sparkles and butterflies on it too.

I concur,TRA is another great choice

• Baller

https://radarskis.com/products/boys-total-radar-awesomeness

https://www.hosports.com/product/waterskis-boys-omni

There is the TRA and the boys omni, which I bet would also be great as @ReallyGottaSki mentions.

I would go for Youtube. Easy to use, flexible, universal. I find it by far and away the best and easiest way to share action sports clips. Nothing else that I've seen really even comes close.

• Baller

https://radarskis.com/products/boys-total-radar-awesomeness

https://www.hosports.com/product/waterskis-boys-omni

There is the TRA and the boys omni, which I bet would also be great as @ReallyGottaSki mentions.

I would go for Youtube. Easy to use, flexible, universal. I find it by far and away the best and easiest way to share action sports clips. Nothing else that I've seen really even comes close.

• Baller
Skip the kids ski for now. Go in your basement or your buddies basement and grab an older, heavier 68 or 69". Take off the fin box. Grab your skill saw and cut the tail off square at 64". Cut in straight to make room to replace the fin box. Don't worry the tail is cut, kids are not working that fin hard enough for anything to come apart. The ski will stay in the water and the much wider tail will keep the ski up and not have the tail sinking in the corner while the kids are learning to turn properly. I still have ours in the garage, she rode it until she could run 28 mph in the course. Been used for a few more beginners also. Get a front rubber binding that fits properly and releases appropriately. Use a rear toe plate.

• Baller

Radar TRA for sure

I just moved my 14YO daughter from a 62 Connelly Prodigy to a 63 Radar TRA and saw massive improvement in her skiing. She's getting a full pass at 23 and a ball and half shy of getting 25mph. She's tiny and got a late start and it is a killer ski for her. She loves it. Says it feels much more stable than her old ski.

85raoym26gah.png

Also not as exciting a shot but I love this pic because immediately before this I was coaching her for like the 100th time to try and keep shoulders level and eyes down course and for the first time she felt comfortable enough on the ski to do it. She's crazy late but this was actually a PB on 3 ball at 25mph for her.

mv3olq78epc6.png

Oh also I removed the wing. She had been skiing with the wing originally. It took her about 2 sets to get used to managing the extra speed at the ball but she is now skiing much better.

Sorry ... proud dad bragging moment.