Damaged Wing

PeterAK

• Members

Hola Ballers. Got some great turns in this weekend, but unfortunately my ski had an incident tonight... It was in its bag on the lawn next to the driveway and my wife drove over the end of the bag when she decided to drive her car on the lawn to get around my truck...

Thankfully the ski looks fine and while I think the fin is still straight, it did get pushed up a little and the wing was broken. With the reading I’ve done on this site I've learned that fin changes have a significant impact on how a ski skis.

I’m a 15 off open water skier. Planning to just take the broken wing off and adjust the depth of the fin to where I think it was, but that’s still going to be an estimate. I did not change anything out of the box on this ski and I really like it. ‘16 Connelly V.

Any advice as to how I should approach adjusting the fin, and if I should replace the wing, where to source one?

Thanks!

P.S. The wife is the one who put the bag on the lawn, and feels terrible about it.

• Baller_

That looks like the plastic wing that Connolly sometimes uses. If so, you are in luck! It is not as good as a normal flat wing, so when you replace it you’ll be making an upgrade.

Since i assume you don’t have experience measuring or adjusting fins, I would get a new wing from Connolly, put it on and try it before taking the fin out of the fin clamp. If it feels okay, leave it alone.

To replace the wing you really should get a wing angle gage. You can get a good quality yet reasonably priced set from Ski Doc. You can just buy 7, 7.5 and 8 degree gages if you want to save a little $$. Set the wing at 7 and go from there. If you feel like you need to add drag to turn, go to 7.5. No Connolly skis need more that 8.

If you don’t want to buy gages, take a pencil and draw a line along the top of the wing on the side that wasn’t damaged and put the new one on using the line as a reference. When you put the new one on, put it on upside down, with the screws closer to the bottom of the ski than the flat plane of the wing.

In the meantime, after marking the current wing angle with a pencil, take the old wing off and ski without it. It will probably be just fine and you might decide to go without one.

I would not recommend eye balling a fin adjustment.

Lpskier

• Baller
@lpskier I was thinking the same things, but then I looked closely to the second picture and the fin was sticking out of the fin box well over a 1/4”. Then I noticed that the Connelly fin box has no adjusting screws so the fin went all the way in until it hit the tightening screws. So @PeterAK I would also suggest to move the fin to about its previous position by using the residue markings on the fin.

• Baller
If it were me, I would get a new ski. Sure, the ski may be fine but if it isn't you will really regret trying to ski it. Think about it, a car ran over the back of the ski. Even a little delamination could result in failure at the tail. The end of the season is coming soon and there are always sales. I bet you could get a new V for a deal and the wife will feel so bad that she won't say a word.

• Baller

Bent wings are pretty common. I don't like the hooky wings so a replacement might help. I like a big flat wing. Might be interesting to try without a wing at all. Setting wing angle is not super critical. Your fin has marks so you can use them. I like a pretty steep wing angle - I guess at the setting and if it feels weird I back off a bit (the marks make it easy). I also like the wing upside down from where you have it. It's a learning experience for you - both in figuring out what setup you like and from a skills standpoint to decide what feels best for you.

Setting the fin isn't as critical as some make it to be. It can't be with the good performances coming from wild fin designs. Still, a set of calipers (or a quality machinist's scale) is very useful. But there are likely some watermarks indicating your original settings so you can eyeball it to get close. I try lots of adjustments. When I find one I like, I mark it with a scribe line on the fin and eyeballing it works well when a reset is needed.

Do take the fin out and check that it isn't damaged. If it is damaged, this might be a good time to experiment with one of those new fins. You should enjoy that experiment! And your skills will likely improve.

The ski looks fine. A squish into a lawn is not guaranteed to break a ski. Keep an eye on it. In the future, use it as an excuse to get a new ski.

Eric

• Baller

The guy I ski with ran over a small piece of driftwood while sking and bent one of the wings maybe 20 degrees or so. I can't remember if it was bent upwards or downwards and I don't remember which side it was. Ironically, his skiing seems to have improved with the bent wing so we've just left it in place! We're just open water skiers skiing at 22' off at about 32 mph so without a ball count it's kind of hard to really say for certain if and how much his skiing actually improved. As his driver, I can say with some certaintty that he sure seems to be falling a lot less with the bent wing. At any rate, we're going with it and not changing it!

If you want to buy inexpensive but good quality wing angle gauges buy these ones off of Ski-it-again. Full set for $5.00 plus a little shipping.

ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Misc&postid=40455

Terry makes them on a 3-D printer. I have a set and they're good.

• Members

Thank you for the feedback everyone!

I removed the fin and confirmed it is still perfectly straight both by eye and placing it on a granite countertop. I reinstalled it and used a caliper to set it as close as I could to the specs I found in this thread (first to the specs in the first post, and then noticed that they were corrected below...).

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/12744/connelly-carbon-v-settings

Doing this reminded me of the ninja arts required to align the drive shaft on a direct drive inboard, though a bit less frustrating, thankfully.

Going to give it a go without the wing and see how it feels. I can't find an online source for a Connolly wing. Any suggestions? I'd like to buy a metal one and the angle gauge @DangerBoy posted to try some adjustments and see what I can learn.

• Members

Update, not good... ski looked fine when I looked it over after discovering the damage, removing the with, and checking that the fin was still flat. When I pulled it out of the bag to ski this morning the tip had delaminated. I’m at my cabin where we have poor service, so I’ll post a pic when I get home.

So, I have a brand new wing I didn’t get around to installing, and I need a new ski. I really like this ski, and the boot and RTP work well for me too. Now I need to buy a new ski, which is a bummer as I’d rather put that money toward a heater and perfect pass. @teammalibu let me know what you have. Anybody else have a line on a good deal on a 67” ski?

I’m 6’4” 180, open water 32 mph skier.

• Baller
Ouch. I'm afraid if you tried to glue that back together the flex characteristics would all be different and might not be good. You could try it and see what happens, but I'd be cruising Ski-It-Again for a good deal. 67" is a pretty common size, and you should be able to find a good replacement, if not even the same ski (since you like this one).

• Baller

Regarding the repair, I've never broken a ski while skiing that far forward. It's not that heavily stressed there. You will need lots of clamps - at least. A crude mold might be easier (plywood over cut 2x6s) but it will need lots of clamps or sandbags. That is a possible repair but not an easy one.

It will be somewhat heavier in the tip - especially if you aren't getting enough pressure to squeeze the resin out. This could affect the balance feel of the ski. If you don't get the rocker right you might change the feel of the ski. Lots of variables to consider.

I did one modification of a ski similar to your needed fix. I wanted to change the tip rocker profile. So I slit the ski down the thickness of the ski, reset the rocker in my mold, added epoxy and pressed it in my mold. Worked great and I liked the new rocker. But that was a proof of concept experiment. I built a new ski pretty soon after.

Normally I'd end by saying "the ski is shot, send it to me for proper disposal." Instead, save the shipping and look for a new ski (demo as many replacements as you can). Unless you want an interesting project (definitely worth it then!).

Eric

• Baller_
Since it was damaged by running over it with a car, it may be covered on the car’s liability policy, subject to a deductible. If the policy pays out based on retail and you find a deal (H2OProShop.com) on a ski, the out of pocket my be negligible. Or I have a brand new ( but two year old) 67” Carbon V I’d consider selling.

Lpskier

• Baller

That'll buff right out.

On second thought, Duct Tape! :D

Seriously though, you've just been handed the extremely rare and highly coveted "I get to buy a brand new ski and wifey can't say a damn thing about it" card. Use it before you go and do something stupid that will cancel it out!

• Members

I really would like to save the money to put toward PP and a heater for the boat if I can. I'm not confident in fixing this one, so I'm looking around at my options with budget in mind. I've still got my old O'Brien World Team in the garage and it will be put back on duty this week, but it's slow and not nearly as lively as my Connelly so I'm eager to find my replacement.

This 2016 ski and binding package was only $400 last year, and the same package is a little less now. That's one option. There's a 2014 Carbon V with bindings on SIA for $450. I just spent some time reading about binding compatibility, and it looks like if I go with another Connelly or D3 I can use my Connolly bindings, but pretty much everything else would require new bindings. Please correct me if that's not the case.

A couple of you have sent me messages with skis for sale. Thank you--any others with skis that may work for me please do send a message with info.

I usually love researching and choosing stuff like this, but this time I'm just bummed I have to do it as I had other plans for my ski budget.

• Baller

@PeterAK as someone who due an economic downturn in his region has had to live within an extremely tight budget for the last 4 years, I totally understand where you're coming from. If you can make due until the off-season, better deals will start to appear on SIA and with retailers. You just need to be vigilant on SIA to be Johnny-on-the-spot for great deals when they appear. They don't last long when they do so you have to be checking at least 2 times a day.

By being patient and vigilant last year I managed to pick up a HO V-Type unused from a pro skier on SIA for $180 and a set of new unused Connelly Talon bindings for $100 from a different vendor. Amazing equipment for the price of department store stuff. There's also a lot of terrific generous people on this forum who have gear that might be great for you and will be kind enough to give you a sweet deal on it so be patient, persistent and hang in there and the right deal will come to you in time as it did to me. It'll all work out so don't worry. :)

• Members

I've spent way too much time thinking about this... Skis I'm currently contemplating:

-2018 V blank w/fin, use my current bindings $320

-Carbon Omni w/ double Animals $750

-Syndicate Omni w/ Double Animals $1,315 or Animal and RTP $1,215

-Used Carbon Omni with minor ding repaired, $300 plus a few bucks for shipping, need to confirm I can mount my Connelly RTP on it

I know waiting and watching for more deals is probably a good idea, but I've blown pretty much a whole work day on this, and I am 100% commission... The 2018 V seems like a solid and budget friendly answer, allowing me to get back to work when I'm at my desk and putting extra funds to go to savings toward PP and heater. But, how often do we NEED a new ski, verses WANT one?

• Baller
AFAIK the only difference between the Carbon Omni and the Syndicate Omni is the core material, PU vs PVC so you'd be paying a lot for that PVC core which may not make that much difference to you depending on your level of skiing. I think I'd be leaning toward either the 2018 V or the used Carbon Omni with the repaired ding both of which are in the 300 range. With the money you save using your existing bindings you could perhaps look at upgrading the bindings later on when the end-of-season sales start happening and better deals start appearing on SIA. I don't know enough about the differences between the Carbon Omni and the V to recommend one over the better but I suspect the Carbon Omni is the better ski. Not sure though.

• Baller
@DangerBoy for 2018 the Carbon Omni came with the Comp fin, which only adjusts DFT. The Syndicate Omni came with the Syndicate fin. For free skiing and a bit of course time the Comp fin is probably fine. If he's hitting the course every week then it's worth it to get a Syndicate fin for the Carbon Omni, at least that was my experience.