2019 malibu txi 6L issues

TheBigHead

@TheBigHead Some dealers may not actually know there is an issue with the 6 liter. So I’d give him the benefit of the doubt since the 6 liter is old technology. I’m not sure why suddenly some of the 18’s and 19’s began having these issues. Not like anything changed since the 17. I actually have an 18 and have been in several which don’t have these issues. I along with Malibu are a bit baffled with these engines having these issues. With all that being said, Malibu will start doing their own engines and not buying from PCM for the 20’s. If you are going to take a bunch of heat for a problem with engines produced by someone else I would say building them yourself is a much better idea. I hope you get the problem resolved soon to your satisfaction.

update after being in denial most of the summer PCM conceded at the end of august that the motor needed to be replaced our club boat should be back in service this weekend sept 27 if not for the unselfishness of two standup club members we would not of had a summer of skiing thanks Ura and Murray

Malibu sucks. I purchased a custom ordered 2017 txi 6L. I battled it’s power issues with dealer and factory for 3 years! I would call, a Malibu rep would tell me they would take care of me and tell me Dennis kelly would call me or e mail me shortly to start figuring things out. Wow, I believed them. Months after not hearing anything, I would reach out to Malibu again to find out the rep I spoke to doesn’t exist...according to Malibu. I went through this 3 different times with three different reps. Their e mail accounts deleted and don’t exist after I have a record of them. The shit is crazy!! So......after 4 years, a new tech at one of the local dealers agreed to go through my whole engine. He found a faulty corroded part that was over fueling the engine causing it to lose power. So, since day one. Not one hour on the boat. It was a piece of shit out of the hole, that I ran about 10 different props on. Malibu wouldn’t believe it had an issue. WTF!

After 3 years of a brand new boat not running properly, I still didn’t get anywhere with MALIBU. The final bummer.... the part was replaced but required other associated parts to be replaced also. Did Malibu cover the cost of the faulty parts over 3 flipping years!!!?

NO THEY DID NOT. 2017 Malibu txi 6L was the most disappointing purchase I have ever made. Along with the most disappointing factory/dealer backing. Way to go Malibu!

• Baller

I don't know if Malibu reads this forum, but I know for a fact they follow themalibucrew.com and folks have generally had very good luck working through issues there. Real bummer about your boat. That's a lot of coin to spend on something that doesn't work right. Also seems like your dealer is kindof a dud. You shouldn't be needing to chase Malibu as the consumer.

What did they end up changing out?

Last resort idea: email the CEO. You might think it won't work. My buddy has done this twice before and had great results, once with a boat, once with a car. His car was a Chrysler SUV. Was having problem after problem and getting the dealer runaround. He emailed Sergio Marchionne about his problem. Marchionne's office sent a note to my bud's dealership telling them to shape up. He also declared that that vehicle has a lifetime bumper-to-bumper no-cost warranty. This was 10 years ago and my friend still gets warranty service on his old clunker SUV.

• Baller
Having these problems with boats costing as much as they do is bull crap! There is NO pride in workmanship anymore. One of my ski buddies bought a used Malibu (2014 LXI) and had nothing but extremely bad luck with it. Driver seat broke, pylon broke, screen went out (which he replaced @ $1600 and told by local dealer if it went out again tough shit, no warranties on them), a leak due to a hose being too long and wrapping around the transmission shaft, leak at the platform brackets due to no silicone, vent fan hose never connected, a hole where the drain is supposed to be in the ski locker, etc. The boat went to Malibu factory to have the floor done due to it sinking in. When it returned it was soaking wet with shrink wrap on it, oil foot prints on the floor, carpet wrinkled, access panel unable to be lifted out, 2 burned spots in the carpet, ski locker full of water, and several more problems. NO satisfaction from local dealer as he only seems to care about wakeboarders. He has sent emails to Malibu with no response in over a month. A month with this much crap going on! This is the most frustrating part! I get things happen and parts break but alot of these issues have been because of bad workmanship, end of story. He has had other Malibus in the past with nothing but great success which helped me decide on buying an 04 Malibu. The purpose of me telling this is not to bash a specific boat company. Knock on wood mine is running great and I absolutely love it, but no way would I buy a newer Malibu especially with no response from Malibu and a bad experience/relationship with the dealer. My next boat will be either Nautique or MasterCraft. Hope you can get your problems worked out. I just can't imagine buying a new 2019 at the insane prices they are and having those issues with it then having to fight to get anything done. Do they not have a quality control team who checks the boats out before they leave the factory after being made?

• Baller
hutch, when did your buddy buy that boat? I've bought a new Malibu product every year for 5 years (and a lot more before that) and have hardly anything that slipped past QC. Methinks that boat lived a hard life prior to your buddy buying it. Not only do they have a qc team they can track who did what along the assembly line.

• Baller
@buechsr yes he did buy it used. A former pro skier had it then a ski school so it had some use on it. However even with all of that... the bottom line was the total lack of craftsmanship and simple problems that should not have happened. Again I understand normal and even above average wear and tear but the problems found after finding one which lead to another is just unacceptable from that level of boat company. Or any of them for that matter.

• Baller
I'm not going to be a Malibu apologist (OK, maybe I am), but a boat owned by a pro, then a ski school, is not "normal and even above average wear and tear"....it's literally the toughest existence imaginable. That boat likely never got covered and was exposed to the elements its entire life, not to mention (likely) inadequate professional servicing. Since the boat went back to the factory, I'm assuming Malibu warranteed the floor and that your buddy didn't pay for a factory repair. Seems a commercially used boat with likely very little care, covering a floor warranty years after production, and for its 3rd owner, actually speaks pretty highly of Malibu.

@buechsr I was thinking the same thing. If it was a skiers first and then belonged to a ski school. This boat has been put to the test. Although most of the team skiers try to keep the boats up. It is often not a maintained as someone who pays for the boat. Then to a ski school. All bets are off. I agree that is a pretty critical assessment of a 2004 boat.

• Baller

I've had 2 Malibu boats, 2007 Lxi and 2016 Txi. Still have the later, and love it. Had zero issues with the 07. Only a couple issues with the 16, which Malibu took good care of.

Both boats were promo, and well taken care of (by the last poster). Dialed in.

• Baller
Again I agree with the boats history it has seen some use. However it is the lack of workmanship on things that should have been covered long before it left the factory and non-answered emails concerning them. We certainly don't expect a boat with that history to run flawless and not have any breakdowns. The boat was well taken care of and appeared to be in above average shape. Its the underlying (what is hidden underneath all the pretty fiberglass and carpet, no response from Malibu) work that really sucks. Just our experience and hope no one else goes through it.

• Baller
I'm noit sure why you went through all of this? Either sell the boat trade it with a MC or SN dealer and be through with it, move on. I've had all three brands, actually had a SN that nobody could fix until I took it to a NASCAR shop. Had a MC that had to be completely re-gelcoated and the floor redone, on our 4th Malibu, we had very few issues. You bought a used boat, know who you are and what you are buying, lesson learned, sadly it was an expensive one. Good luck