Worlds Scores Malaysia

rico

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Not a fan of those conditions in Malaysia.

But, even worse is the lack of an audience.

If you took away all the skiers along shore and in the grandstand, it's a ghost town. With the World's greatest skiers.

Cypress Gardens used to draw more people for a show they did twice a day.

Bring this tournament to venues where people at least have some appreciation for great water skiing.

Just my $0.02.

• Baller
The closet cousins to waterskiing tournaments are alpine skiing competitions. Melted water as opposed to frozen water, pull of a ski boat vs. pull of gravity. Downhill, Super G, Giant Slalom, Slalom in World Cup, Olympics or any other championship are frequently held in far less than optimum conditions, conditions that can change radically throughout the day affecting skiers’ performances in all manner of ways. It’s part of the sport and somehow the cream always rises to the top. World Series games played in swirling wind and mild rain don’t tend to showcase the best players are capable of. Super Bowls, when played in open air stadiums in early February hardly have conditions that optimize athletes’ performances. Golf championships in high winds don’t exactly produce the best scores golfers are capable of. It’s simply the nature of outdoor sport and part of the intrigue.

• Baller

@Zman I have mixed feelings about the venue/spectators.

For one, I've had some conversations with the organizer in Malaysia, and he seems like a good guy, one of a handful of passionate promoters in Asia, where the sport is growing (albeit in relative terms, from 'almost nothing' to 'really small'). As noted in another thread, the lake (& his ski school) has has more protected areas, but obviously you use the already-built grandstand area for this kind of tournament.

It makes some theoretical sense to try to have major events in large metropolitan areas — even if that means sacrificing perfect man-made-ski-lake-in-the-middle-of-nowhere conditions — in order to promote the sport. On the other hand, if you've ever been in a business selling something consumers don't seem to want, you know it can feel like "pushing on a piece of string". The IWWF seems to have a mandate to promote waterskiing around the world (see below), but that doesn't mean the world is "buying" (ie. non skiers coming out in droves to watch big tournaments, like non-racing spectators come out to NASCAR races).

Remember, if we complain about important tournaments being held in crappy sites in metropolitan areas, we don't get to also complain about how our sport isn't growing outside of our passionate little community of folks who either live or drive out to exclusive/expensive man-made sites to ski (there's of course a lot more to the problem of our sport not growing, of course).

For reference: 2019 Worlds: Putrajaya is a planned city in the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur (~8 million metropolitan area), accessible by public transit; 2017: in the outskirts of Paris (~12.5 million metropolitan area), accessible by public transit (crap weather unfortunately, so again, poor spectator turnout) vs 2015: man-made lake in Lake Chapala, Mexico, an hour's drive from Guadalajara (~5m people), no public transit (IIRC, this was a last minute thing after Italy pulled out from hosting?), and 2013: man-made lake on the outskirts of Santiago, Chile, kinda-maybe-accessible by commuter train. 2011 was outside Moscow, 2009 was a club site outside Calgary. The last time it was hosted in the US was 2003 (Florida), and before that, 1989 (Florida).

• Baller

@andjules

Agree with your thoughts 100%.

I would definitely be OK sacrificing some on conditions for promoting larger crowds.

And, hats off for everyone trying to make that happen in Putrajaya. Other than water conditions, it looks awesome there. Let's hope more come out on Sunday morning.

Where is the next World's to be held?

• Baller

MillerTime, I could not disagree more. For 22 of the last 25 years I have skied in more challenging conditions then you are likely anyone else on this forum endure. I skied on the Potomotic river where in joins the Chesapeake Bay, with tidal currents, unprotected winds, wakes from commercial fish boats, barnacles on the buoys the cut you, and jellyfish stings that would cause blisters.

In practice I could let up when I got out of shape, would I want have a tournament in those conditions when I have to go a 100%, No. Having to ski at your highest level, in crappy condition risks injury.

If a tournament is windy and rough it does not randomly effect one competitor more than another. Rollers, especially larger ones will occur randomly, if get a roller in my pull or the completion of my turn I will likely mule my way through them, but hit one during the transition from the pre-turn and turn and are likely to crash. f14ld62uw3b5.jpg

• Baller

The family actually sat and watched the women's slalom finals for our Friday night entertainment! Really enjoyed it.

Regardless of the conditions the same names are generally going to be on top. I don't have a problem with the venue at all. I believe the focus on scores vs. competition in our sport has been to our detriment.

We are actually planning dinner around the Men's final tonight. Will be interesting to see some to the big names have to go out early. Then to see how the higher seeds handle it. Should be entertaining!

• Baller

@JackQ you risk injury every time you put on a ski. Skiing in those conditions is probably what made you the skier you are today

I watched the entire women’s final and did not see any noticeably different conditions for the competitors.

What I did see was some amazing competition. Manons 11.25 pass in the runoff was pure grit and determination and watching Regina after she was dead in the water around 1 throw caution to the wind and nearly get around two was beyond impressive.

• Administrators
For better or worse the sport has evolved to a point where ZO gives perfect times, boat paths are dead straight, ropes are perfect, skis weigh a few pounds, fins are set to the .001" and ski sites are chosen for ideal conditions. Maybe skiing in rough water is interesting but is is NOT the sport we train for. It is not the world we live. Waterskiing started moving off public lakes on to private ski sites 50 years ago. FYI - exactly 50 years ago.

• Baller

The worlds should take place where conditions are good for skiers. Some passes look a bit scary on the webcast and I do think some skiers will not be able to push as hard as they would normally.

Having said that, the women finals wS super exciting and the run off between Manon and Regina was epic.

Hardly seems like an event that is producing the worlds best skiing for the world championship Seems like a complete crap-shoot for all of the competitors. More importantly there have been a large number of injuries at the event. A few season ending

And for what a tournament across the world in Malaysia with no spectators Its the business of the IWWF Find a place that will pay 250K for the event and wine and dine all those who show up. Seems for a 250K bid there would be a cash prize for the athletes and a great venue for the event..

• Baller

@Horton. Exactly 50 years? And can it be correlated with the decline in popularity and commercial sponsorship of the sport?

I can only assume the first private ski lake tournament occurred in August of 1969?

Boy I miss our old friend @Edbrazil right now.

• Baller
I keep checking into this thread hoping I'll see some scores but there never are any except the first post. Instead it's mostly talk about a lot of other stuff not related at all to the scores at the world's. I'm interested to see the actual results, particularly in slalom and overall.

• Baller
Okay, confused about something. I went on the site to check the men's overall scores and saw that as indicated above, Adam Sedmajer did slightly better in the slalom than Thibaut Dailland but only got 918.18 overall points whereas Thibault got 1000. The rest of the field shown above I assume weren't competing in the overall. What am I missing here? Why did Thibaut get more points for slalom than Adam?

• Baller

My hope for a larger crowd on Sunday didn't happen. The grandstand looked practically empty.

Hope for better site selection in the future.

There has to be places that can draw a crowd. This one did not.

• Administrators

@zman or if we're not going to get crowds why don't we just have the best possible conditions. If there was an amazing crowd I think I could forgive some of the water conditions but at least give us one or the other.

You could have Worlds here in Bakersfield and the skiing conditions would be beyond the shadow of a doubt fantastic but there would be no new facilities, no plush accommodations, ZERO crowd, no amenities....