How many miles do you tow your boat?

david_quail

Driving from Edmonton to waskesiu (about 650km) for a week. I was going to pull the SN200 (which lives on our boat lift for the summer). I’m getting the gears from others in the family that pulling the boat this far may not be the most responsible thing (putting it politely). I’ve never considered any safety issues ... assumed boats/trailers were designed to be towed safely. Our vehicle is well within the towing capacity. But maybe I’m out to lunch. I assume most on here ski on private lakes or keep their boats on lifts ... but aren’t we the extreme minority? Ie most boat owners pull their boats thousands of miles per year to use it with their family? Now more than proving a point ... I’m curious what most boaters do (again, people on this forum probably don’t represent the majority of boat owners :| )

• Baller
2800 miles from Orlando to Edmonton in 2007 when I bought my boat. 10 years of driving back and forth to Osoyoos BC from Edmonton (12 hours each way). Tow your boat and enjoy. Look after your lights, bearings, and tires - no worries if all is maintained correctly.

"Do Better..."

• Baller

I tow my 200 265kms almost every weekend from October to April (just over 130kms each way). So what’s that, roughly 7,000kms a season? Have been doing so for 4 seasons with this boat. I usually tow with the boat’s fuel tank close to empty. Check the stuff Bulldog mentioned and if you’re loading the boat up with lots of gear, heavy stuff in front of the axles.

Towing that distance or more regularly is the norm in Vic, Aus.

• Baller
Growing up we towed 80 miles to use the boat for the day, then 80 home. Towed 650 miles once a year to visit family in Michigan. Follow what others said about tires, bearings, brakes, and lights. Go slower, even if you're truck is big with lots of power. Most problems are due to poor driving decisions or maintenance, rest are other drivers.

• Baller
New tires including a spare, make sure the wheel hubs (seals, bearings and grease/oil) are in good shape, brakes and don’t forget the trailer lights. Other than having all the proper tie downs I wouldn’t have a second thought. We used to travel about that distance twice a year, as others have said if you have everything maintained and in good shape it’s not a big deal.

• Baller
Great advice from all. Boat trailers are made to tow boats, after all, and towing long distances per se is not an issue provided tow vehicle is appropriately sized and trailer, tires etc. are in good shape. Be sure you check the age of your tires by the embossed date code on each tire. Advice varies widely on when to replace trailer tires, from every 3-4 years to 5-7 and older. If I’m hauling an expensive ski tug I’m going with sooner rather than later. And if I’m going to tow a trailer of any kind regularly for any distances on freeways, I want a tandem axle trailer. They are far more stable in cross winds and much less dramatic if a tire blows. We had a tire blow and completely disintegrate on our tandem axle 4-horse trailer coming back to FL from TX doing about 75mph on I-10 and never knew it until someone passed us honking their horn and pointing. The trailer never even swayed.

Some people don’t have the experience to be pulling trailers long distance. Not saying your one of them just putting it out there. Tandem axle makes a huge difference when traveling long distances but single axle is just fine but less stable in extreme conditions. Have everything checked by a good mechanic and enjoy the trip.

• Baller

I’m not smart enough to know how far 650km is but I am smart enough to tow a trailer. I tow nearly every weekend. Typically 120 miles with a Tundra pushed to the limit. But we usually tow the boat or camper on a 1400 mile round trip 1-2x a summer. Make sure your tires are fresh. I usually won’t allow mine to reach 2 yo. Keep your bearings fresh and greased. I’m gonna really get blasted here. It doesn’t take an F450 with the lastest diesel and tuner and 4x4 to tow a jet ski. Given certain conditions brakes aren’t necessary but for a ski boat I will lean towards yes. I’m a fan of lesser, but heavier axles for any trailer. Key to limiting sway is tire pressure, balance of load and a longer wheelbase of tow vehicle. Dual axles for a ski boat is twice the problems. I’ve been in nearly every trailer disaster possible. Brand new trailer and tires blow out, 8800 lb dual axle trailer and lost both wheels on one side simultaneously at 75 mph, and once had a 10k lb $180k boat on a two year old Aluminum Tragic Tilt trailer, uhh, I mean Magic Tilt trailer rot from inside out and only clue I had was I kept seeing the marker light reflection on bottom of hull change angle over the 300 mile trip at 3am. $180k rig held together with 2x4’s and bailing wire got us to our destination.

Make sure you have:

1. Spare tire

2. Spare loaded and packed idler hub

3. Basic tools with large crescent wrench

4. Jack and stand

5. Blocks

6. Rags, rags, and more rags

7. Packed cooler with cold water

One of our 1400 mile trips on a 22yo Ramlin trailer.

g4au70ov1lar.jpeg

One of our monthly/twice monthly 240 mile round trips. I tow the camper, wife gets my other truck with boat of the week. Just so happens I was changing a 22 month old tire out on the camper in this picture. Started and Finished before wife came out of Publix with more beer.

kw7nncz19pvl.jpeg

• Administrators
I tow my boat about 50 yards every so often when I pull it out of the water to get it extra clean. That's as far as it goes once it gets here.

• Members

Boat trailers are meant to carry boats on roads. What’s the issue? I tow back and forth to our cabin two or three times a month all season, which is about 250 miles round trip, plus 30 miles round trip when I go out locally. Agree with others about not letting trailer tires get more than four years old, and I grease the bearings twice a summer.

Love my Sequoia as a tow rig and family hauler.

gg9xnludyqfb.jpeg

I looked into the statistics and accident rates are actually lower for towing vehicles than non towing. I reckon because drivers are like me ... extra slow and cautious when towing. Also, I probably instinctively give trailers/boats extra space on the highway when I see them.

Trailer mine a lot. 70 miles round trip 2-3 times a week. And 1200 miles round trip once per year in addition. Keep your trailer ball height correct if tandem, watch inflation pressures carefully, carry a spare, keep your highway speeds within tire spec. Jack each wheel up before a long trip and check for bearing noise or end play. Use a tow vehicle that is capable of stopping your load. Never had an issue in 40 years except broke a leaf spring on an ‘89 MC ProStar trailer years ago....that was a my fault. Go for it!

I don't tow much any more. But as others iterate, trailer maintenance and spare parts will make the trip easier. Unfortunately those that keep their boats on a hoist never use a trailer, and over time of just sitting trailer components will fail. Chances are you will find them one you are on the road. I always bring a floor jack, jack stand, and wheel chocks for any road side repairs.

I've towed my boat to Lake Powell 1600 miles round trip. 650km should be a breeze.

• Baller

I tow our Malibu RLXI from Missouri to California every summer. 2000 miles, each way. I tow with a Yukon Denali XL, so it's a big rig towing a tandem axle trailer. It's pretty easy. All the above advice is good. Take it easy on speed. It will be fine.

My addition to the above advice - I got a laser thermometer, and every time I get gas, I read the temps on the four bearings on the trailer. It doesn't really matter what the temps are, as long as they are pretty close. If one of the temps is really spiked, then you probably have a problem with that bearing. Gives good peace of mind.