What makes a handle good.

ChiroBlitz

I believe it is a big disadvantage to ski an old rope and handle, they lose their power after time, get too stretched out, and you don't get the slingshot effect to get over and free of the boat. It is much better to switch handles and ropes out to keep this freshness and slingshot power. How long to keep them depends on how much you ski, I'd say 2 years max, less if you go a lot. Every year is safest. If you ski a stretched out rope and go to a new one you will realize what you are missing.

• Baller
@Horton yes to 1. About 50 sets per New England season, and 2. Skiing between -15 and -32. I started to notice that it was feeling stiff about mid summer this year so I got a new one that’s ready to go. Four of us have In-Tows and all are getting the same wear, a good 4 to 5 years from them. Carefully coiled up and hung in the shade to dry after every use. My 12” ARS hardly shows any wear on the rubber and there’s basically no fraying on the rope. Amara gloves seem to help with the rubber too.

• Baller
@thager - that's way cool. Going to have to try that. I've actually used tennis / racquet grip tape - thin black tacky stuff to re-wrap a handle that the rubber had dried out on - but was never used. Wilson grip wrap at Wrap at Wal Mart was about $2. Worked great and lasted a couple of months before unraveling. Love yor idea even better

• Administrators
@Brewski add that to the reasons I get so aggravated when some Ballers continue recommend US Gear. I forget how much money doing business with them....

• Baller
Normally buy Masterline Custom Grip handles from Performance, they hold up very well, pull straight no issues at all - but just two weeks ago I tried In Tow and I like them better!! Have both the poly and the spectra and both are light and just look better

• Baller

Wanted to start a new post but computer is messed up. Decided to make a new handle out of some 3/4" hex tubing covered with rubber. Getting the rubber auto hose over the 1/8" X 3/4 "x 12" tubing was a battle but patience and soapy water makes it doable. Am pleased with the result! Really like the feel of the hexagonal surfacenfg2la5vz9h9.jpg

. Depending on where you drill the rope holes you get a normal feel or an eliptical feel to the gripping area. Cost about $14.00 to make and my time. You tube has any help you need.

• Baller

@BraceMaker No, that 1" aluminum was not hardened like T6. I had it left over from my bimini project. Bends easily. Next time I will pack the tubing with sand and increase the bend angle.

@Brewski Thx. for the tip! I did heat it in hot water but did not boil it. Next time I will also fine sand/polish the ends and wax the hex tubing. I think the points were catching. Floating the US Gear clone should be easy enough. Spray foam into the 1/16" tube and wrap foam inside the plastic sleeves should be more than enough. The Hex handle will be tougher as the 1/8" thick tube is hefty but foaming the core will help along with foam inside the protector sleeves .

• Baller
@BraceMaker Probably right but I think most of the USGear handle strength comes from the rope fighting opposite the force of the pull. The handle I deconstructed was only 1/16 inch thick hollow round aluminum. Only foam I found was a rolled up foam sheet in the plastic protector sleeves.

• Baller

Before we runaway with the idea that certain handles are more durable than others, Lets just remember the varables, Type of Gloves, Speed, Line Length, number of sets per week, how much you weigh, how you store your handle and maybe even the way you grip the handle.

I have a few callouses on my hands, my ski buddy has none.

• Baller
No glue. Fit was very tight. Took me almost an hour to get rubber hose on until I figured out a shortcut. Sharp hex edges and tight fit keep rubber grip from twisting. Felt like any other modern handle I own except those flattened hex panels fit so nicely into my fingers.

• Baller

@dave2ball I agree about the Phase II handle. I looked for a new one when I started skiing again about 5 years ago but the shape obviously isn't popular any more.

As @thager said the flat spots made it fit my hands nicely.