Locking a boatmate trailer on a hitch

jetpilotg4

• Supporting Member

What @oldjeep said.

Is your concern while driving or waking up after a hotel stay and your boats gone? On overnights, we chalk the tires, padlock the chain to the truck, unhitch it and pull back the swing away tongue, while taking the thru bolt and cotter pin to the room.

Don't know if you meant "new" to you or brand new. My concern on a 1,000 mile trip would be: did you confirm with the seller the age/condition of the tires and spare?

• Supporting Member

Well, you can do a lot of preventive things, but we all know the story....if anyone "really" wants it. If you are really concerned: Park under lights, back in to a corner spot, lock chain and remove swing away thru bolt.

I wouldn't overthink it. That's for Insurance to worry about.

• Baller

Maybe I am the crazy one but there is no way I am going to chain it to my truck, unhitch, fold the tongue, remove the pin and lock it. Might as well just remove the whole coupler/actuator at that point.

Just throw a lock on and go to sleep. Any trailer coupler can be locked to a ball easily. Leave it attached and throw a cheap lock on. I'm with @Orlando76 I pick my parking spots for security, not a lock. The lock just removes the opportunity crime aspect.

• Baller
My first inboard Ski Brendella I bought when I was 25. When I towed it home, I slept in a sleeping bag, in the boat, in a grocery store parking lot, for fear someone might steal it! Looking back on it now, I was at more risk than the $15K boat! :)