Sacroiliac Joint Misalignment from Skiing - How to prevent?

OscawanaSkier

Anyone else suffer from knocking their SI (sacroiliac) joint out of alignment while slalom skiing?

This started to happen to me after a bad deep-water start a number of years ago. At first, the solution was 3 trips to the chiropactor. Then I read about Muscle Energy Technique (which sounds more new-agey then it really is). Here's a great video for anyone that wants details about MET for your SI joint: https://tinyurl.com/y5yvcblk

What I found was that the more I went to the chiro, the more often my SI joint became misaligned. Once I discovered the much gentler MET, I found that I can get near-instant relief, with the residual inflammation from the aggravated muscles disappearing in a couple days or less (with the help of ice and some Advil).

My question for fellow SI joint sufferers is - what steps have you taken to PREVENT your SI joint from getting misaligned while skiing? I've been doing adduction and abduction exercises, along with glute bridges. But it happened again to me last week while practicing 1-handed turns. What else have you found that works?

• Baller
What is your skiing level? The shorter the rope the more stress on the SIJ. Just walking around stresses a weakened SIJ so you can imagine the stress on the pelvis running 38 off. One chiropractic visit won't fix an injured SIJ. It takes months for an injured SIJ to heal, if ever. Strongest pelvis in sports wins....Joel Howley, Andy Mapple, Chris Parrish, Carl Roberge, Nate the Great, Regina, Jeff Rodgers.

• Baller
I was in doing PT after knee surgery following a jump crash and the therapist (a barefooter) asked how it was going. I told him the knee was great, but my back was killing me. He gave me a simple exercise to stabilize the SI joint: simply lie on your stomach, clasp your hands in the small of your back, and slowly arch your back as much as you can, holding it in the arched position for a second. I do these in sets of 30, at least three sets a day and usually twice a day and before skiing. I had severe and chronic SI pain for years and since he gave me this exercise, it's been under control.

• Baller

I sprung my sacroiliac joint, gave me considerable discomfort for three years, deep water starts were very painful, I tried everything from injections in that area, accupuncture, some success with chinese herbal remedy it was like drinking mud, eventually I got it to the state where I could do a lot of stretching, the piriformis stretch was very good at releasing symptoms, medical people are going to cringe but the one that actually put me on the road to recovery with a fair jolt which I believe re-aligned things, was when on a sun longer, laying on my back with arms on the rest, I swung my legs over my head and tried to touch the top of the sun lounger.

My suggestion based on my experience is just do various stretching often throughout the day/evening.

• Baller

@OscawanaSkier I train online for skiers on and offseason...the whole point is injury prevention...hit me up and look me up. www.skyfitness.us www.skyfitness.com www.skyfitness.net

I'll be taking 3 more skiers this winter for anyone interested.

• Baller
I had this issue 3 years ago that kept me out for a couple of months. Went to the chiropractor 4 or 5 times and then stopped as I felt it was beginning to aggravate the issue more than helping. Stop skiing for a few weeks minimum to let things "settle down" and to build strength. Started sleeping with a pillow between my legs since I sleep on my side. I also began doing dead lifts (not heavy weight) over the off season along with once every two weeks during the season using a hex bar to reduce the load on the lower back and have been symptom free ever since. Make sure your lifting form is perfect however. I also recommend McGill's books, especially the latest.

• Supporting Member

Thanks for posting @OscawanaSkier & others.

I've had this nagging pain (also can be ID'd to a bad start) for 3 weeks. Followed the MET video and near instant/instant relief. And yes, poor core strength and lack of stretching are the most likely culprit (plus carrying 25 extra lbs). My golf game and family (I have been cranky to say the least) thank you.