2006 Response transmission leak

SDNAH2OSKIER

OK, so the boat was off the water for almost two years. It sits covered under cover in San Diego, but as we all know, boats do not like to sit. We had it out weekend before last and the trans slipped pulling me out. Checked the trans and fluid was low. I know I had checked it prior to taking it out and it was full. I topped it off, but after a couple of runs it had already pissed out a noticeable amount into the bilge. Guessing output shaft seal? Or?????

My question, I did some poking around, its a job to get it out and replace the seal, if that is in fact the cause of the leak, but I would like opinions, should I go the extra and rebuild it? Boat is in great condition and we all like it and have no $$ desire to get a newer hull, but I also don't want to do it just for fun. When the fluid was at the proper fill level it operates correctly and we only noticed the slipping twice. TY!!!!

-Doug

We ski out at the river, its not a place where I can afford to try something like the Lucas product. I inspected it, its dripping off the centerline of the belly of the trans housing, that was my reason for suspecting the shaft seal. I am trying to get my buddy (owns a shop) over here to properly diagnose, but it is a significant leak. Thanks for the input!

• Baller_
@SDNAH2OSKIER - when I have a fluid leak (oil) that I am not sure of the origin, I make up some diapers to wrap or place underneath to see if I can more accurately determine the source location. Due to the inlet air venting many times on a ski boat the oil smear can move relative to the actual source. Also, make sure the oil is the color you expect as an additional data point. You could take a pet pad and tape it to the bottom of the bellhousing to verify the fluid is from the tranny inlet seal, put one below the output shaft to verify outlet seal (tape it to the hull). On the inlet side, you can also pull the top site plug on the bellhousing and wipe your finger inside to see if there is an oil smear there, the flywheel should fling it around in there. For the hoses, simply wrap one or a paper towel around any damp areas you see. That may help you pinpoint the specific location.

• Baller

Triple check the hoses first like mentionned before.I know a guy soooooo stupid who got the tranny out himself,changed both seals,and reinstalled everything only to find out that a hose was pissing like hell when you accelerated.

Wonder who could be so dumb... :*

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

@Andre could def be me... I am looking for a diagram of the assembly if anyone has a link or a good exploded/clear view of the trans. I am going to clean up all the fluid and thought I would run it for a couple of minutes, but out of the water with no load on the shaft not sure what I will see. On my old Sportster, I could clearly see the cooling lines and oil cooler, this boat is not the same though, does it have an ATF oil cooler? Great info as always, I will follow up in a couple hours and let you know if I was able to pinpoint something. It is most def ATF fluid though.

OK, update, I found the cooling lines, followed them to the exchanger, everything is fine up front. I can clearly see the line on the port side, DOES NOT appear to be leaking. I cannot clearly see the other line going into the top of the trans, it is blocked by box holding some electronic gear, is it the perfect pass??? I don't think so, but the throttle cable from PP is attached on the port side.

I have wiped the box and bilge area down very well, if there were a visible oil path, I should be able to see it. Having wiped it down, there was nothing apparent at all INCLUDING the rear seal. When I first looked at it, I could clearly feel fresh fluid along the bottom of case, today, I ran my finger around the lower back half of the case, basically the half circle below the output shaft seal and it felt DRY. ??????

So, I didn't want to wake up my neighbors, but I am going to put a hose on it and let it run for a minute, but not sure that is going to help much, I don't want to put it in gear with no water getting to the water box???? Any ideas here?

• Baller
They have them at Skidim. They used to be $22 I think. FYI I have large hands and I had to have my wife come out and help me because I couldn't get my hands to that tough hose connection. You would think that it's time to replace both lines but I just replaced the leaking line and it worked out fine. On mine, the metal joint adjacent to the coupling failed.

OK, I totally forgot this was a boat for about an hour, what was I thinking. I went back out to get the part # off the cooling line, bick thick stripe of ATF down the centerline of the bilge. That did not come off the cooling line. : (

Here is a pic of the coupling that connects it to the prop shaft, it is leaking badly on the prop shaft side, leaking onto the prop shaft and off the bottom of the coupling.

o7eziww3f4ug.jpg

• Baller
On a separate semi-related note: If you loosen those 4 nuts, you can double check to be sure your shaft is still aligned by checking the gap where the plates meet with a feeler gauge. Turns out the engine tends to settle in its mounts, causing downward pressure on the Cutlass bearing in the strut the shaft passes through. That bearing would probably last forever if the shaft was aligned, but ours was oval shaped and almost wore through, so we had to replace that bearing and get the engine realigned.

I am getting the transmission cooling line ordered. I know that has failed so step 1. But I am at a loss as to where its leaking from other than there. The boat has not even been turned over, no pressure in the system. I need a bore scope so I can clean it up and look up under it right after I top it off.

OK time to play "name that leaky seal" Anyone see this before? Its the very back of the trans assembly, not sure of the terminology, but flange, prop shaft coupler? Must be a seal at the very end that gave up its ghost. Elapsed time is about an hour. And this is completely static, not even moved by hand. Topped it off and came back an hour later.

pkjgt2ihiuma.jpg

gjdudnvpl0wo.jpg