ProStar 197 or Malibu Response TXi

mmskiboat

• Members

We are looking for our 1st dedicated ski boat. We would like an older ProStar ('04 > newer) but they are hard to find in Canada so have opened up our search to the Response TXi and 200.

At the moment we are looking at an older '06 TT ProStar with a lot of hours but well maintained and a '15 TXi that is a lot more money but less hours (300) and in mint shape.

We want to find a boat that we can keep for years and keep it well maintained. We do not know much about the TXi and resale, problems etc.

If you wanted to buy a boat this fall where would you be leaning? Yes I understand this is a loaded question.

• Baller

This is if you're skiing the course often...

The 15 TXI and the 200 are both better boats then the 197 IMO.For resale in my region,the Malibus are always a bit harder to sale used.

If you can swing it the 200 is the boat to get.An open bow in any of those brands is not really useful...Do you ski off the dock or spend the day on a public lake? How many peoples in the boat and how you intend to use it may help us help you!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

Most around here seem to say that the MC Prostar has a stiff wake at longer lines/slower speeds. Like anything there is a degree of subjectivity to that and if you ski it and love it, who cares?

I recently purchased a 2013 TXi and absolutely love it! Great wake, lots of space, the 5.7 has plenty of power. Plus ZO - not that I am good enough of a skier to really notice the benefits but ease of use is huge.

New boat should in theory last longer, obviously many factors go into that but the 15 is 9 years newer. Less wear and tear.

Personally if you plan to keep the boat a long time, newer makes sense to me. If you want a temporary upgrade that will last for a few years then upgrade again, the MC is probably fine.

Newer boats will have potentially more depreciation. I found that as new boats are insanely expensive that it is artificially keeping the price of used boats higher, at least in some places - like WA state.

I can't comment on the 200 - never skied one. SN makes a great boat and obviously they are popular.

I haven't had any issues to date on my TXi, if maintained I can't imagine I will.

• Members

Thanks guys. We want the open bow as we are on a lake at a cottage and it will not just be a ski boat. We will still want to cruise around with the dogs etc. If we could have two boats I would look for a closed bow as I find the look better and less place to catch water.

There is a '12 200 but the price is as high as the '15 TXi and has 630-ish hrs.

The main plan is to have a boat that we can ski and teach others to ski on. I want to learn to barefoot next season. We are newish to the skiing. Wife has done it longer than me as I did not do it much when young. I learned to drop a ski and then do deep water starts in about 4 weeks this summer. This is what started us wanting to switch out boats to a dedicated ski boat but with open bow. Hoping to run a course that is on a lake close to us. But all of this is just for fun.

We are lucky that we can work from the cottage so our season is longer than most in that we can ski all week long. Because of this we would be putting on more hours than a typical boater up here that are more weekend cottagers.

I could see us upgrading at some point but also based on our ages this might just be a 10 year hobby, so if we can find a good boat and take care of it that could also be a plan.

I agree that the MC is an easier to sell brand, at least around these parts. I do love the new 200 but wow new-ish boat pricing is crazy.

• Baller
Welcome to the sight. One thing to keep in mind is that these boats can easily go 2000 hours , so don’t let higher hours scare you away. Remember most guys with these boats are pretty anal about taking care of them. That year TXI is an awesome hull and has the highest freeboard which comes in handy if you’re on a large lake. Congrats on your decision to step up your ski game !! Will learn a lot on this sight.

• Members

The higher freeboard could help but I also know that this switch will limit boating for us as the last boat was a center console that was very stable on the waves. But this also made it less than great for water skiing.

We are going to look at the 1000 hour boat next Saturday. It is the cheapest by far and should have all service records and was serviced by the place that we would use so it could be a good choice. Color is not our favorite but can deal with that.

The TXi is the next I think, jump in money but the boat looks to be in great shape and really looks the same as the PS but better color, ZO and way less hrs.

• Baller

I've got an '04 197 and also regularly ski behind a neighbor's '15 response txi. Sounds like zero off is not important so I won't comment on that.

Wakes are both great at 34mph, I've skied right up to my personal best (3@28)behind both.

The response feels like a bigger boat with its higher freeboard. The rear seat in the 197 feels like its

The TXI interior looks and feels more like a luxury car vs the 197 which feels more like a sports car.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the touchscreen start/stop on the TXI vs a key on the 197.

The DBW throttle on the TXI is very sensitive.

The TXI has a walkthrough bow but the 197 can more easily seat two across in the observer seat.

• Baller_
The TXI will have a better barefoot wake, Malibu's are very good for footing. The older original SV23 hull was the best of the breed. If you are thinking you are going to foot, particularly long line, I suggest you contact a couple of the barefoot schools and get their opinion.

• Members

Good feedback. We would like to have ZO or PP to keep speed under control. The trick is trying to buy a boat before the snow flies limits testing. We might be able to do water tests if we get to them before Nov.

I would prefer to find a boat now rather than deal with lots of eager buyers in the Spring. I think now would be a better market.

The PS that we drove for a weekend did feel like a sports car and the wife loved that, coming from the center console that is like a suv.

• Baller

This may be interesting alternative. 2002 Sport nautique. Looks decent. Someone on here can talk to the wake, not me.

5.0L (vs 5.7 or 5.8 for that era) could turn some folks off but I would think is fine.

I have no affiliation w boat just posting for you.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=53013