Anybody familiar with Grand Rapids, Michigan?

Orlando76

• Baller
Seems like a lot of skiers in Michigan. Have a quick get away for my wife and I to GR. We never leave home without the camper except now. Hotel choices in downtown were really limited and booked. Staying at Grand River Hotel west of 131/Grand River and south of I-96. Looking at the aerials I have some hesitation about the area. Lots of junk cars and looks rough. I can imagine accidentally booking at a hotel that also rents rooms hourly if you catch my drift. Anybody familiar? TIA.

• Baller
I lived in Grand Rapids for 25 years. That is not that most desirable part of town. Not that there are terrible parts of towns, you will most likely still be safe there but it is more industrial in that area. Either go to the east side of town or go far enough west to be in the Grandville/Hudsonville area.

• Baller

@BraceMaker gonna be at the arena Friday and Saturday and this hotel is 3.5 miles away and so far closest I could. Everything else was booked or twice the distance.

@WIRiverRat industrial makes sense. I see clearly a junk yard across the street. Hotel amenities don’t really scream ghetto. I made sure it was clear from the 1960’s area activists who’s name is commonly used on the rough side of town.

@LakeOneSkier oh alcohol will be involved. Any relation with you and the brewery?

• Baller

@Orlando76 Grand Rapids is a micro brew Mecca. Founders is an awesome place to hang out but there are tons of other options all over the area.

Don’t worry about the distance your hotel is away from downtown. There are tons of hotel options around 28th St. and I-96. It will take less than 15 minutes to get downtown from there.

• Baller

Have stayed in Grand Rapids plenty of times for work.

Lots of nice hotels near the airport, pretty much all the major names. Some nicer/ newer than others but all good enough.

As others mentioned Founders Brewery is an amazing spot and there are other micro brews around as well.