Virginia - Public places to practice // Slalom Course

mccowherd2006

• Baller

Hello @mccowherd2006

It was great meeting you guys at Corey’s last week. As we discussed, I know of zero public course in the area. We have a handful of private lakes within an hour of Richmond but the public ski scene is greatly lacking.

Yes, Smith mint. has one or two but I have never skied there. About two years ago Timberlake private club was looking for members, not sure of their status now. That would be a hike from your house but doable for a day or half day of skiing.

There are rumors of a cable park and ski lake being built in Chesterfield. I think the chances of it happening are low because Chesterfield land prices have skyrocketed and the board of supervisors are known to have crazy requirements for all projects. The developer is a local skier.

Bill

• Baller
I do not know of any courses on public water in VA. As I understand it, if you want to put one in at Lake Anna it will require approval by the "God of Lake Anna." He's one guy who works for the power plant and oversees all approvals of this kind. I could be wrong on this. I know people have had courses on the Anna cold side but I don't know if they were approved. If you want the name of the guy I can ask my family for his contact info.

@Bill22 It was nice meeting you as well! There is a place I found called "Jennings Lake", and "Bear Lake" that are north east of Zion Crossroads, and apparently they have courses set up on them. They were built for the sole purpose of skiing. I'm just not sure if they are public, or if I can join whatever club owns them. I will probably take my boat to Smith Mtn Lake next summer as well.

I'm looking high and low for a free/in-expensive way to practice on a course. It's hard for me to think that every Slalom skier in VA who competes ONLY practices with a paid trainer. It gets EXPENSIVE ... QUICK.

• Baller

@vtmecheng I stand corrected.

I thought the state would only approve the permits for the power plant “if” the company gave control of the lake to the state.

@mccowherd2006 you are correct not all tournament skiers are practicing with a pro coach but there are probably 8-10 private ski course on this side of VA.

• Baller
@mccowherd2006 I am late to the party here but I have a course in Gaston that we put up in the mornings on the weekends for a few hours. I believe the rule is you can have a "temporary course" and dominion wont care. There are a few local big names that do the same but they are a tick more hard core than I am. Very fun to watch though.