PCM GT-40

Nautique1982

• Baller

So long as the engine is ok, IE: No cracked block, heads - maybe just tired from lots of hrs - then any good engine shop should be able to rebuild it for you. It is really about resources available in your area and cost to rebuild vs new.

Don't forget about the tranny if you are high in hrs. I have seen people rebuild engines only to reuse a tired tranny and end up blowing it up.

Check out the current thread on engine rebuild recommendations. It might address this question.

• Baller

Are you sure it's a reverse rotation motor? I didn't think the gt40 were. The Nautiques used a reverse rotation reduction drive tranny on later model boats to get the prop rotation but the engine is standard rotation.

These guys have gt40 long blocks

https://www.michiganmotorz.com/ford-351w-marine-engine-remanufactured-p-3539.html

Will be far less expensive to put a new 351w block in and swap all ancillary parts over than to move to a Chevy motor. Unless you want to switch to zo, just get a new 351w block.

• Baller_

Budget and directive will dictate the endeavor.

What do you want your boat to do? Application? Do you want updated speed control?

Keep in mind all three of the engine marnizers no longer sell complete ready to drop in small block Chevys. PCM only offers a 6.0 non cat for repower.

Ford rebuilds can still be a economical proposition provided you have a economical and knowledgeable machine shop. Ford parts are still reasonably available yet some are nla.

If you have a gt-40 it is a left hand rotation engine. There were a few HO ford (GT-40 heads) engines that were right rotation but they were carburated.

Good luck.

My boat is a 2001 model year PCM model PLP PRR12M , I am not sure if it is a reverse rotation, I just assumed the Ford engines were all reverse rotation. Nothing is currently wrong with my engine, just trying to weigh my options compared to purchasing a new boat. Thank you for all of your input and knowledge.