Buying a ski

Rsearle

• Baller
My sister is looking at buying a new ski. She is 19 years old, 160cm tall and weighs about 65kg. She would use this mainly for free skiing. We were thinking about either a radar lyric or a HO Omni. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks

• Baller

R,

I think her height and weight would indicate her size of ski, but skill level is more determinative of a suggested model.

Are her starts 100% and easy? how fast does she like to ski? turns consistent and symmetrical? Is she looking to get faster and better or enjoy the mornings and be able to make 100 turns? Or, is she already at 34 and running 28s?

This season my monthly-skiing wife at 40, went from an Ho Siren (lyric comparable) to a radar butterknife. That allowed much easier starts, more consistent turns, more turns with less drag, took less to "engage" the ski coming out of a turn, and overall has had a much more fun summer. At 19, are those things different than a 40 year old, yes, but there's not a "rush" to go straight to a course ski, unless she is already a course skier. A lot of fun and progress can be had on modern "shaped" skis that ride really well. HEck look at the videos of radar skiers on the butterknife, katana, and union. They don't, nor your sister, need a vapor to lay it down.