Help with frozen fin block.

bhs

• Administrators
I would go a step further than that. take the whole thing off the ski. if any of the bolts will loosen I would take them all the way out. The design of the D3 makes it a little bit harder to recover a frozen bolt.

• Baller

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but... I had a D3 block freeze up, and nothing would free it up. I tried penetrating oil, heat, hammer on a wrench. Nothing.

Bought another block, and have used anti-seize on every ski screw since.

• Baller

I can fix this too.. remove the fin block from the ski, unscrew what can be unscrewed without breaking or damaging the head of the bolts. Use a plumbers torch to heat the block around the seized bolt areas and try to remove it while heating the area. It works all the time if done correctly. Anti seize rarely works unless it is used as a preventative method. Also if the screw is damaged of broken or nothing works you can always drill off the screw with the right equipment. You would need a very good bench press drill and a good quality cobalt drill bit, or a milling machine. Process has to be very precise as the aluminum surrounding the screw is much softer material. If done right you would not damage the threads and would only need to clean the threads with a tap. If you damage the threads it’s not the end of world, you can still repair it with a helical insert (helicoil).

Put grease after that and every time you buy a new ski.

Alex,

• Baller

This was a frequent occurrence for me when I skied in saltwater.

I would drill out the allen heads of the screws and then I could often remove the actual screws. Antiseize helps somewhat, but just delays the process. I used stainless steel "timeserts" similar but better than helicoils. www.timesert.com/ and never had an issue again.

I work in a bike shop and deal with aluminum parts stuck in things all the time. A proper penetrating fluid, a little bit of heat, and time will get anything out. Don't use WD-40, its a cleaner, not a penetrate like PB blaster or deep creep. Spray it everyday for a week and try it again.