The rise and fall of water skiing

Horton

• Baller
@A_B Some great points. As a free skier that rarely gets in the course, becoming an AWSA member, for me and most that I know, has no benefit other than "helping grow the sport." If there were some incentive like access to private course bearing water, I'd definitely join.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

If membership = access, then the sport would grow.

If membership = state public waterway advocacy, then the sport would grow.

If membership = public visibility of non-competition participation, then the sport would grow.

Remember, cornhole didn't make it to ESPN because of pro competitors and governing bodies. Those are all a result of prevalence in the population. Grass roots if you will drove it there.

When we take away the public prevalence, the source of interest and subsequent demand is cut off. There no source of water flowing from the well to sustain this sport. Investing disproportionally at the top without equally investing in the well, will only isolate the sport from the public.

Anything and everything that can be done to put combo skis back on the feet of the public families will save this sport. Anything else is just sucking from a dry well.

• Like 1

• Baller

Corn Hole and Drone racing are on TV because of a couple simple reasons. They have sponsors. They are "packaged" into tidy 30-60 minute programs. And they obviously have a marketing team.

TWBC has come a long way and they probably could package a tournament for rebroadcast. But without a title sponsor and marketing the YouTube Broadcasts are our best resource.

• Baller
@RAWSki - go deeper... why do they have sponsors? Why do beer companies, etc. want to sponsor cornhole? It is simple. It is because the general public population playing it is significant. Drones are no different. Drone sales (from toys to pro units) outpaced water ski sales exponentially. We don't have a sponsorship problem. We don't even have a "packaging" problem. We have a public participation problem.

• Baller_
@bigtex2011 it’s looking like it. I won’t pay for my background check and the only reason I would have stayed is to help our club out, but with all the new mandates on the LOC is looks like we won’t sanction any events. My membership runs out in Aug but as of Jan 1, I guess I’m am ineligible to ski if no SS completed

• Baller_

To make small contribution to the future of water skiing, encourage it on your own lake . . . . if you are a decent competition skier young people are interested. Help them out.

Do you have a real slalom ski for guests ? The 30 year old combo set with cracked bindings isn't an inspiring invitation to the the neighbor kid who wants to ski behind your boat. If he has skied before on a decent ski, he will just fall over on an old combo slalom and he won't be back. And one of your left over tournament skis with full double boots isn't likely to work either. I put bindings on an old tournament ski that will fit almost anyone. I have used it for neighbor kids and guests. If they have been on a slalom ski before they have fun.

Given a little of your time, you might get neighbors of all ages engaged in the fun of slalom.

At first its hard to look good on a slalom ski, but with your help they will get there and then may encourage their friends.

• Baller

These days I’d say it’s rising  not falling.  This week had it all, TWBC, the SanGervasio ProAm, and the pro tour, along with the pretty much full local tournaments, and busy public lakes.

Edited by ALPJr
  • DIslike 1

• Baller

Speaking specifically of KY, we are down to only 3 tournaments per year all sponsored by 1 club.  A few years back we had 8 over 3-4 sites.  This year our state championship had 16 entrants compared to 50+ during our heyday.   So, in this area, falling.