Minnesota clinics/coaching/lessons?

TomH

• Baller

Hey ballers - my neighbor is looking to get some lessons or coaching for his brothers and him to try out the course for the first time. While they're considering taking a vacation down south to get it done, they'd also like to save some of their vacation days if possible. With that, do any of the MN folks know if there's any localish lessons or coaching available for some slalom course never-evers to give it a try (or if there's any traveling pro clinics coming through this summer)?

We're pretty close to the Center City Trophy Lakes if anything ever happens up there (we're in Wyoming), otherwise, they're pretty willing to travel around the state.

• Baller

@brooks was supposed to come out for a clinic at the quarry two summers ago that we were excited for, but fell through due to some site issues. Since this post might get some visibility, would love MNWSA to organize another MN clinic!

• Baller
There are half a dozen or so "learn to ski" nights around the TC metro- we host two in Shoreview- see mnwaterski.org for details. These usually will get you a couple of passes in the course and some good coaching (we regularly get a guy who coaches at Ski Acapulco every winter). We sometimes do get a large enough turnout that skiers are limited to two sets, but we try and make sure everyone gets at least two. We've considered hosting a clinic, but probably not this year. Our site is public and while it's usually good, it isn't as controlled as the man-made sites, so flying in a pro is probably best left to others.

• Baller
Thanks @Nando . Those sound like the perfect intro into the course for them (three 60ish year old guys) to wet their whistle and let them decide if they want to pursue it further. They're all pretty good open water skiers, and have been itching to try a course for years. I assume in Shoreview, you're probably talking about Island Lake? I know there's a course on Owasso as well, but that lakes a crap-show on evenings/weekends.

• Baller
@tomH after letting the course point out some, um, deficiencies...it generally gives folks a lot to go work on in open water before attacking the buoys again. I'd look @Nando events. Beginners may not need a pro...I've taught a number of folks to round buoys who were prior aggressive open water skiers.

• Baller

@bradb can you shoot me some info on that somewhere along the way, or who they would contact for it? My neighbor runs his own business out of his home, so, something during the day would be no issue at all.