Getting Back into Skiing

RJM

After a 20+ year hiatus we are finally moving back to an area where we can ski again. The sport has changed so much I hardly know where to start with equipment.

Before jumping back in and buying new skis that might not work for us I'm looking if anyone that has anything used lying around that they might want to dispose of.

Looking for:

Intermediate 68" slalom with size 10-11 bindings

43" Trick with size 10-11 bindings

Trick Pair

THANKS!

• Baller

I've had something similar when I go back into real skiing a few years ago... don't look at the price tags on new stuff!! I nearly fell off my chair when I saw them!

I've opted for second hand kit off auction sites, ski club members and FB ski sales groups.

It might be worth running a few sets at a local club with their kit first so you can get a feel of different skis before you buy. Tech has changes so much in 10 years, let alone 20

• Baller
Where are you skiing at? You might lean on some others in your club or other sites nearby that would let you try out some of their 2-3 year old gear that might be a good bit ahead of stuff from 25 years ago. Especially as far as slalom skis go. That might help you be more confident when you make the plunge on the brand new purchase.

My best full pass is 28 off @ 32MPH Was skiing on a Kidder Redline Graphite 67" On tricks I had a Kidder and I think it was 42". Trick Pair is for fooling around.

I was 175-180 but now I'm 200. Being older, heavier and less athletic I need to go with longer skis. Not looking to compete or anything. Just want to have fun and try to improve skills.

Sort of silly to live on a lake, love the water and not take advantage of it. Nearest club that I'm aware of is about 90 minutes away.

• Baller
@RJM bindings are going to prevent you just “trying out “ others skis. Unless you have a very common size fit - highly unlikely you’d fit well or feel comfortable in someone else’s bindings. Also SO many different types today they’re as diverse as skis, if not more. As you’ve been out if the scene for so long rather than try to try skis , my advice would be to invest a LITTLE in some good correct size bindings and a good solid proven platform ski of a few years old - all via ski it again. A few solid platforms I’d suggest include HO Syndicate, Radar Vapor, D3 ARC, . There more but just a few examples of great skis you could get into for little money, any of which would serve you well to get grounded again in style and form and have you then be a much more up to date informed consumer. All the while having fun on great equipment too. I really would try and stay away from trying to find the right ski to get back in with. Find a good ski to get STARTED again with. Enjoy......

• Baller

I started skiing again 6 years ago after a 20 break. That 20 years lost is my biggest regret. The only brand I recognized was HO so I bought an A2 off Ski-it-again.com. That was a good ski but I’ve gone head-over-heels since and ridden HO, Goode, Connelly, D3, Mapple, and now on a 2020 Radar Vapor that is the best ski I’ve ever ridden. Sounds like you were a good skier. It won’t take long to get that back. Especially on today’s skis.

I’ll concur, find a boot setup you like and then find a ski. You’re probably more used to rubber boots but today’s releasable hard shells are safer. Nothing is safe, but safer. If you think you’re going to stick with rubber boots, because it’s what you know, I’ve never heard anything but good things about the D3 T-factor boots. I would recommend getting used to a releasable hard shell sooner than later, MOB, Reflex, Syndicate/Edge, and even Fluid Motion are brands that make good solid products. Most are advertisers on this site so you can just go to the advertisers section and follow those links.