Dave's Gone, Now What?

Nando

• Baller

While his family and friends have not yet really had time to start the grieving process, I find myself wondering who will help fill the void. The sport has lost some giants recently but Dave was so visible and active that his passing really made me think about all he did.

The lore around the first Goode slaloms was that they were based on a Bill Chisnell design that Dave adapted with his expertise in carbon fiber technology. The result of that was a ski that almost everyone here who had a top ten skis list included- the 9100 (or one of his other skis). I never knew how much of the design of Good skis was Dave, but I assumed a LOT. So, can Goode Ski Technologies survive without him? I sincerely hope so.

But more than that, he and his company gave back so much to the sport in the form of title sponsorship of the nationals and in other ways. I don't know how far the Good influence extends and have no idea what the financial commitment was, but it was pretty significant. I feel kind of crass even bringing it up, but our sport is so small that the loss of a guy like Dave can have a pretty significant ripple through it. Much more to say, but the point of this is to hear what the ballers who are WAY more informed than I am think.

Dave aside from having a magical mind to continue to innovate and move the sport forward was second to no one in the industrie. Aside from his skis he developed a vest that would allow people with back injuries to continue to ski. I was with him in Covington, Louisiana when he broke his ankle. That night a dinner he started drawing what is now known as the bubble buoy. He did not want anyone to suffer from a broken ankle and prevent them from skiing. His mind worked unlike most. Aside from that Dave was passionate about making everyone better. He would always watch and often video each and every skier on the water no matter the brand. Always trying to figure out how to make the ski perform better. He was a true fan of performance. I remember when Nate broke the record and Dave Goode interviewed him about the record. Nate was skiing on a D3. He loved skiing and loved pushing the limits. Dave and Dawn have supported the Nationals year after year. Those two loved handing out the medals and photographing every podium. Didn’t matter if you were 6 or 66 years old they were there to take the pics. He tirelessly documented every event he took part in with the famous Goode Video. “Dave Goode here with ————-. “ I will miss his voice, I will miss his passion for the sport we all love. Most importantly I will miss the man I called my friend. As his shirt said. Live the life you love!!!! Dave and Dawn did this everyday. And we are all better because Dave was part of this world and shares his dreams, thoughts and innovations with the rest of us. As always “Ski Goode”. As a driver who pulled Dave on occasion he would start each pass with “I love you” which some found odd. But he loved everyone who shared his same passion. Words I will miss “I love you too Dave”. Till we meet again Rip

• Baller
It is of course a reaonable question, and many people are asking it, but it’s too soon. I will wait patiently for the family and the company to confirm the path forward. I for one expect the company to carry on, because everyone involved knows that is what Dave would want.

• Baller

It is a reasonable question. 6 months from now.

I too, was completely thrown off the first time I drove Dave at Cottonwood and he said "I love you." I looked at whomever was the judge with this really weird look on my face and whispered "Who's he talking to?" LOL But the dude just had a love for everything to do with water skiing.

• Administrators

On a personal level no one is replaceable and Dave had a positive impact on a lot of people in the sport. For Dawn and the whole Goode family the personal toll is unimaginable.

The rest will work itself out in time.

Just had a lengthy conversation with Dawn Goode, who is overwhelmed and thankful for the support and positive comments about Dave from the waterski and snow ski communities. Reading some of these has brought a smile to her face when a reason to smile for her has been hard to find. She wanted me to let everyone know that Goode Skis will operate as normal. The two of them had plans in place in the event of such a tragedy. She wanted to assure everyone that the business is on solid ground and will continue to operate as normal. As you know Dave worked very hard to develop the new carbon core technology and production of the Revo Carbon Core, the Carbon Core 9970 and the Carbon Core XTR are in full swing as is the snow ski side of the house.

• Baller
Yeah, I asked this question too soon- soon enough that it's in bad taste. When I posted, I was just thinking of all Dave did for the sport and the void his passing will leave. Horton is right- on a personal level no one is replaceable. I wasn't asking who would replace him, just saying that as well as Dave the person, all he did will be missed. I only met Dave a few times and only got to ski with him once. The "I love you" thing kind of took me by surprise but kind of reflected the guy's nature, it seemed. I had just taken Jerry Seinfeld's advice of not saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes by instead telling our host "You're so good looking" when she sneezed- Dave got it, laughed, and said it was similar.