JBB

• Baller

I am in the market for something to do with my back foot while I am skiing. I have read several threads regarding both the Reflex R-style and the Radar HRT. Generally, it seems that for both, they take a bit of getting used to, but people generally love them. How do these two options Compare to each other? is one better for X, and the other for Y? Are there differences in stack height? etc.

By way of background, I have a Syndicate hardshell, and have been using an RTP, but find that as i get older and more duck-footed, that my heel is sliding off the side of the RTP, and thought one of these options would help keep things in place.

• Baller
You can’t go wrong with either. This is a personal feel. Other people that comment can only say what works for them. That may not work for you. Do you move your back foot when skiing? The in the reflex R your back foot isolated in one spot. The HRT is more like a rear toe.

• Baller
It amounts to personal preference rather than a concrete decision tree. Coming from rtp, the hrt will feel more familiar. I honestly doubt that you would have much of an issue going to either. It seems that people have much more difficult time going from a rear boot to rpt.

• Baller

I switched from a double boot set up, to reflex 2.0 front & R rear, then to Syndicate & Radar HRT which I like best.

The 1/2 rear in either style were an adjustment. First couple starts I pulled my rear foot right out of it.

I prefer the hrt because it’s simpler - no separate liner, it’s more durable, and I can get my foot back in If I crash. R rear no way I could get that back on in the water. That said they skied the same from my amateur point of view.

My ski partner whose in double boots hated both 1/2 rear set ups on my ski because he lifts his heel at some points and felt he couldn’t get it back down, so to each his own.

One note on the HRT, the front plate curvature doesn’t pair with the syndicate, so I had to grind the front of the plate to snug my rear foot behind the front boot. It was easy to do, just no returning it after that...

• Baller

Thank you all for your input. I think i am leaning towards an HRT. can that binding be turned slightly to one side? I know that my RTP and the R-Style allow for that, but not sure about the HRT.

Thanks...

• Baller

Be aware that there are actually two versions of the HRT!

The one pictured above is called the feather frame HRT.

That boot is basically molded to the plate and can only be rotated by a tiny bit.

The feather frame plate is shorter and has a Radar unique hole pattern, that (without modification) only fits Radar skis. The plate can be made to fit (to a certain extent) other skis, but I found it not optimal, as you are limited to fore and aft movement due to the short plate.

https://www.perfski.com/ski/slaloms/waterski-bindings/radar-2020-hrt-boa-feather-frame-plate.html

Better get the aluminum plate HRT, where the boot is mounted to the plate with 5 screws and is very adjustable. (You can rotate it, slide it forward or back on the plate and the plate itself can be pivoted on the ski as well.) The aluminum plate fits virtually every brand of ski.

https://www.perfski.com/ski/slaloms/waterski-bindings/radar-2020-hrt-boa-aluminum-plate-standard.html

The feather frame HRT’s are available in 3 different sizes, whereas the aluminum plate version is sadly only available in the std size (8-11 IIRC).

Hope that helps. :)

• Baller
***UPDATE*** I purchased both, with the intent to return one or at a minimum to sell it on SIA. Both have arrived, and I wanted to have a sense of how each would feel. Though, overall I I liked the feel of the HRT better, there was a significant problem. Without modification to the binding (and therefore making it unreturnable) the hole alignment did not match that on my ski... so it is the R-Style for me. I have been looking at some of those how have modified the binding, should the one i bought cause any problems, after a couple of sets.