Perfect Pass Stargazer Wakeboard or 3 Event??

kylegansel

Hi guys - I'm looking for direction here. I've searched other posts and some of them get a little to technical for me. My dad picked up a used 2006 Response LXI last year. It has the paddle wheel version of Wakeboard Pro. We want to upgrade him to Stargazer this spring. I have the Wakeboard Pro Stargazer Version on my 2005 Response LX. We are amateur skiers skiing anywhere from 15 to 28 off with a course on our lake. We don't ski at the official speeds as we pick speeds inbetween. We're going anywhere from 30 to 34 mph running in Wakeboard mode. There are also other boats on our lake running the same way.

With that being said we've all experienced surging at times and some have said it's better to upgrade to PP 3 Event and run in Slalom Practice mode cause you can pick any speed you want right? There is also a Wakeboard Mode built into 3 Event from what I can tell as here and there we'll load up the Response with fat sacs so my brother can board.

So with all this info is it just better to get the 3 Event Version and run it in Slalom Practice Mode or is it ok to purchase the Wakeboard Version (it's a little cheaper) and run it in Wakeboard mode for Slalom Skiing? From reading through the manuals I'm thinking of the 3 Event Version. If we go that route what are the small speed changes that are allowed? .5 MPH?

I'm also thinking of upgrading my Wakeboard S to 3 Event.

Thanks for the help in advance!!!

• Baller

PP Classic 3 event is a great training setup. Your course will need magnets. Your driver will need to know times. But you can adjust baseline RPM to get close (or hit a desired speed). You can adjust skier weight to get closer - or help out a bit.

Since PP Classic is not GPS based, it is not a slave to perfect times. You won't get hammered to be in tolerance. Excellent feel for learning. You also save a couple bucks and it's an easy setup.

PP Classic in trick mode with the paddlewheel is as good as ZO. And way better than wakeboard RPM mode for tricking and wakeboarding. The paddlewheel is critical for tricking and wakeboarding. Your existing paddlewheel should work (maintenance is required to be sure your paddlewheel is free and undamaged and the connection is good - I went through a couple).

I don't like the slalom feel of Stargazer and it isn't good enough for my tricks without the paddlewheel. Zbox is better but I don't have much personal time behind it. Some guys are training effectively with Zbox to pretty high levels of slalom. You can upgrade from Classic when you get serious about tournaments.

3 Event is a superior option. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Eric

• Baller
@kylegansel Surplus magnets can be had very cheaply. I used old ring medical magnets I bought at a military surplus store but have also used cheap solid magnets bought on line. Super easy to make your own from expanding foam in a form or in my case I just safety tied the rings to the attachment loop on the buoys. Now ski ZO but some magnets have been in my course almost 20 years now. Too lazy to remove them. Have never hit or damaged anything boat or ski-wise EVER!

• Baller

If you are going to ski in a course, definitely get the latest 3 event version. The surging has been fixed in the latest software from PP. Contact PP and they will help you with the upgrades. Your Dad's display may need to be upgraded, but that should be it.

They send you a little plug-in chip that is used to upgrade your master module and your good to go.

• Baller

you can reset the Wakeboard Pro in your dad's boat to run in Digital Pro 3-Event (it has both versions in it)

http://www.perfectpass.com/sites/all/themes/perfectpass%20-%20Copy/images/troubleshooting/Resetting-PerfectPass.pdf

i had the same module in my Malibu LXI until just this winter and you can run the full slalom mode. It just takes more work to setup.

Another option is adding a product called Nautic Laugic - http://www.nauticlaugic.com/nl4-pp.html

it will give you a more consistent pull in wakeboard mode b/c it will replace the paddle wheel signal with GPS.

i just installed Wake Edition S and will be trying it out in 8 weeks here. To answer your question the Wake Edition S has simple slalom mode, it just doesn't call it that on wake edition b/c there is only 1 slalom mode. You can set it from 24.9-36 in 1 mph increments.

• Baller

Wake Edition S gives you no-magnet timing and, ball 3 and full course timing, and adjustability in 1 MPH increments.

Three event gives you all ball timing and adjustability in .1 MPH increments. Three event also supports ZBox if you think you might want to add that someday.