D3 NRG R1 fin settings

ral

• Baller

Just updated my numbers to the stock numbers on the website which is different from the original numbers given to me last August.

These feel much better.

Stock numbers:

67"

6.940 (tips)

Wing 7.5 (this made a big difference)

• Baller

True, I did use both fins on my NRG as well as my C75. Both fins are way better than any stock fin. It would really come down to individual preference. The CG fin is the easiest to set up and the most forgiving. It also has no bad habits. You can experiment all over the place from long/shallow to short/deep.

The Whisper Fin is a really great short line fin. You can only move it in 2 dimensions vs 3, since the fluke holes must stay aligned with the bottom of the ski. I really like it performance wise and go back and forth on my C75 with both fins. I do get the most stability from the CG Fin and use it exclusively when working on new technique. When the WF is tweaked just right it will make the ski edge hunt while lining up with the course. That makes some skiers feel nervous using it, but will really perform when in the course. It turns unbelievably though.

Bottom line is that either fin is a vast improvement over a stock standard fin that has been around for decades.

• Baller

@skibug...@ISP6ball.... I'll give you my numbers, but highly suggest you find your own following one very simple method. The beauty of the WF is it's ability to control Smear. If you start with the stock numbers, those are very stable. Also, the deeper and farther back the fin is the more stable it becomes with the least amount of Smear. Start bringing the fin forward and shallowing it in small increments. You will feel how much faster it will turn and Smear. Bringing bindings forward will help in this setup. Always keep the fluke holes and alignment bars parallel with the bottom of the ski. You only change Depth and DFT.

Here are my numbers, they give me Max Smear and are setup for shorter lines. They also make the ski feel nervous from side to side when lining up for the course.

C75 Large, Bindings 29 1/4, DFT 1.994 Depth 2.465 Length 5.703 Wing 7 degrees.

NRG WF Numbers: Bindings 30 1/2, DFT 1.970 Depth Left 2.469 Right 2.500 Length 5.725

Small Wing 7 degrees.

Currently working on Technique Changes, so I have the CG Fin on my C75 and here are it's numbers: Bindings 29 1/8, DFT 1.015 Depth 2.430 Length 7.012 Wing 5 Degrees

• Baller

@skibug....Both are very forgiving skis and easy to ride. Both also have an outstanding offside turn no matter how you tune it. With the NRG you tune it for the onside turn. A washer under the middle screw of the fin block, about .030 difference, will equal the turns. Washer Left if your RFF. Actually learned that from the Denali Guy's.

With the stock fin on the NRG the Denali beats it hands down. However, with the CG or WF tuned right, they become a lot closer.

I have to say I absolutely LOVE the Denali. It just does everything I tell it to and allows me to confidently experiment with lots of new ideas. Absolutely has NO bad habits.

One of my ski partners tried the NRG and likes it better than his Radar Pro-Build. In fact he informed me Sat. that I can not have it back and he is on it full time now.

• Baller

@buoyboy1 I ran your numbers the last few sets, and so far I'm really happy with the change. I was close to stock fin settings before, but was running the CG fin around . 741

My current numbers are identical to yours at 29.75 6.922, 2.480, .756 wing 8 (using CG fin but same settings with stock fin).

For those wanting to play around with some numbers I encourage you to try these.

• Baller
@skimtb My experience was the opposite of @ISP6ball. Both are great skis, but I skied better (more consistent anyway), on my original NRG than my NRG-R1. I know the flex numbers are higher (stiffer), on the original NRG than the R1 versions.