New Ad, New Face, ‘Bout Time

mfjaegersr

• Baller

I’m happy to see Robert Pigozzi doing so well. That guy ran -39 at age 15? He’s been crushing short line so long I didn’t realize he was a kid when he was doing it.

On the boat score bit, I don’t know @Horton, think the “scores” ;) should be posted. All tournament scores for the Prostar, TXI, and Ski Nautique. I’d like to know what the average score is for B&G1 and B&G2 before I bought a snowplow to teach my kid behind. Along the same lines, I’d like to see the same skiers scores from boat to boat. I think that quantitative score + a solid boat driver telling us “it’s on rails” or “it’s on the boat guides” would be about the only scores that matter to me.

• Baller

@aupatking that'd be cool if someone wanted to fart around with a lot of data, but one would also need to account for different conditions.

It wasn't in any way run under test conditions but I did find the Lake 38 results interesting last year when there was a Nautique pulling Rd 1 and a Malibu pulling Rd 2 of the prelims. Was a rare chance to see guys ski behind two different boats on the same lake, the same day.

• Administrators
@aupatking IF that data existed that would be awesome. It would be super easy to take a years worth of scores and find averages and see the difference between the boats. I am pretty sure some folks would be super unhappy when presented with the data.

• Administrators
@BraceMaker there are really not very many contract skiers in the world. Everyone else would always do their best. The interesting data is in all the none pro divisions. G1 though M9.

• Administrators
@BraceMaker No. You want to look at a whole season of scores. If you had five scores behind each boat for 20 or 100 skiers you would immediately see if in fact any boat is actually superior to the others. You can chop the numbers a number of ways but you have to do it from multiple events for each skier otherwise the data becomes impacted by skiers good days and bad days as well as things like driving.

• Baller

I am planning on buying a used 2020 boat this coming winter the scores would help. I have already planed on having my own test in my lake this summer. I have access to a 2019 SN and 2020 MC working on the Malibu TXI. Have skiers that ski from mini course at 26mph to

34mph 35off. That way I can feel comfortable with my dissension. The boat I end up will not only have the least amount of disturbance for the skiers but is easy to drive through the course with several different drivers at the wheel. I will be compering to our usual tow tugs 2008 196, 2018 200, 2012 200 and 2016 centurion.

• Baller

I don't think comparing scores achieved behind the boats would be all that meaningful. Too hard to sort it out by who pulls the most events, and the difference between sites. For example, say one brand was pulling euro events with exceptionally high scores, would that be because of the boat or the driving? Or something else.

If there was a particular boat with a problem at a particular line length, I suppose that might make a difference. At this point, I think all of the big three are good enough and the differences so minor that the point would be largely moot.

I once heard someone talking about how many records were set behind a particular brand. Isn't that more a function of how many team skiers you have and how many events you pull? It certainly is at the pro level.

I would be more interested in data about how long interiors last and what warranty claims are made etc...

• Baller

@TEL keep us posted that's a great cross section of boats to compare. @Jordan agree--subtle but real differences in quality...especially important buying used.

Oh yeah, back on topic, the picture that started it. Have to be careful on colors on the new Nautique or IMO it can be pretty funny lookin'. Maybe it will grow on me.

• Administrators

@Jordan if there's sufficient data set it's really not hard to produce something meaningful. The analysis would require a little bit of trial and error but as long as you have enough skiers who have skied behind two or three of the boats multiple times at multiple events you could draw some conclusions.

I'm sure USA water ski would be 100% unwilling to release the data for analysis but I think they have it from the scoring data and/or officials work data. Once you match the boat to the division skiing it's pretty easy to put the rest of it together.

I suppose it would also be possible to do analysis of drivers. That would certainly not be popular with some folks :-)

( @JeffSurdej just spit coffee all over his keyboard and starts to dial my number to tell me to stop making trouble : -)

• Baller

You guys need to learn to use Excel ;)

I could sort, filter, and merge enough data to run meaningful statistical analysis in a pretty short time. Filter for Prostar pulled rounds, a particular country, age group, etc. etc. Enough rounds covers your “bad weather days” as the Nautique/Malibu data should deal with roughly the same number of bad weather rounds over a long enough period of time to give good data. I think John is right, certain companies would not be happy with the results.

• Administrators
@MuskokaKy The actual point of this thread is a subject that's going to resurface over and over and over again. Maybe we can give it a rest at least until Moomba.

• Baller

@Horton i fully understand.

I am a big Pigozzi fan; That's what we should be talking about :) The guys a stud! That was suppose to be the real point.... i think!

Pigozzi; You are killin' it and i think its rad you're getting more recognition and sponsorship opportunities. Looking forward to the 2020 season

• Baller
Everyone does not have the same preferences or results. However, Last year @34mph I ran 38 in 50% of my rounds overall, 36 rounds total. Behind, one particular brand of boat I had 10 rounds and only ran 38 once (10%), the other two brands I ran 17 38s out of 25 rounds or 68%. Coincidence? Maybe, a mental issue, likely. But we just didn’t get along. But as fate would have it, my 1st round as Men’s 7 at 32mph, I ran 2@41. Not sure if that was a fluke or at 32mph I am not effected as much.