First go into the ski boat genre.

CPC_1

Looking for some input. Currently own a 1978 Glastron CVX-16. It has skied our family just fine for the last 3 summers but we’re looking to get into a bigger, more powerful ski boat. None of the 4 boys wakeboard, they’re skiers and of course they like a tube ride every now and then.

Narrowing down the list: I know they’re all totally different boats, but any experience shared would be appreciated. 1) 1989 Ski Centurion Barefoot Warrior (200 HP Johnson) 2) 1986 Malibu Skier 3) 1989 Mastercraft Tristar 190 Currently have an outboard boat, and the ease of care is intriguing. Hence the ‘89 BW. The Malibu looks super clean. The Tristar has the open bow, which the family leans to. Ready, set, go. Thanks in advance. - clear

• Baller
The 89 BW would be a great choice if you want to stay with an outboard.Contact @6balls about this boat as he had one for yrs.I grew up with outboards and they are great for some slalom and certainly barefoot.The 86 malibu probably will have a better wake then the MC tristar.What are you looking to spend??

• Baller

Comments below are from memory so let’s hope they are accurate. If not I’m sure someone will correct me.

1) BF Warrior-Cool boat. High top end. Handles well. Tiny inside. Beware,look for soft spots, wood floor and stringers. If Johnson motor of same era they were not that powerful.

2) Malibu-great boat for its time.

Pretty good wakes. Good top end for bare-footing for a direct drive. Again, wood in the construction. My buddies ‘86 was all rotted out when he gave it away.

3) Tristar-decent boat. Don’t think the wakes were anything special but OK. All fiberglass so no rot to worry about. Open bow a plus.

If these are your only 3 choices and assuming they are all in similar shape, I would lean towards the Mastercraft.

Good luck.

• Baller
A 91 or newer prostar 190 would be a way better boat than the Tristar. Way better. Or an 87-89 prostar is way better than a tristar. I owned two 89 prostars. Good boats that skied well. I still ski my friends 91 prostar and it has as good a wake as most new boats you will find but more spray.

• Baller
You are correct....entirely different boats. The Centurion is a barefoot boat with flat table, wakes conducive more for footing than slalom but certainly skiable. If it does not have skegs, tracking may be compromised for hard pulling skiers. The Tristar is almost an inboard version of a barefoot boat. I test drove one years ago and again, great barefoot wakes, but lesser quality slalom wakes. The Malibu Skier is a 3-event, old school direct drive boat for slalom, trick and jump. Not certain if Malibu used wood or fiberglass stringers, but check the condition of the stringers for sure. Our first inboard was an 89 Nautique. If the Malibu wakes are like the older Nautiques, the longer lines and slower speed wakes are a bit firm. All of them are skiable, but after owning 3 Nautiques, for skiing, nothing beats a DD ski boat. Good luck with what ever you decide.

• Baller

I have a 1982 Hydrodyne for sale if your interested. Has a 2014 Evinrude 200HO motor on it with GPS speed. Best ski wakes of any boat, excellent motor, very easy to maintain. Boat has been well cared for. PM me for pics and info.

Here's a SIA link: https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_Outboard&postid=53785

• Baller
Wasn’t the tristar wood stringers? I know it had a few corners cut. I’ve never been a fan of them. The Malibu I’d say is the better choice of your group even though that era Malibu id be hesitant on. I have some experience with my buddy’s Centurion outboard. I believe it’s a barefoot warrior but definitely has tracking fins. It’s a 1990. Fair wake, soft but I’m surprised wake is as big as it is. 200 Mercury but it was never propped right, slow in the hole and it’s top end was always beat by my Nautique. I felt interior was great due to no motor in middle. No other choices?

I always felt the back seat in the Tri Star 190 was useless...no leg room in the middle of the seat to the back of the engine box and also kinda hard to maneuver around...however you gain an open bow. Like others have suggested, I would opt for the 87-91 ProStar Over the TriStar. Handling, performance, wake...are better. Completely preference on my part.

• Baller

a tristar is not a good ski boat. You want to avoid Malibu's from the 80's b/c of wood.

what is your budget ? A prostar 205 from the early 90's is a great skiing boat but might be hard to find under 10k. Also look at 90's Malibu Echelon, Response or Sunsetter. You will probably be able to find one of the Malibu's under 10k if you look around. Of the big 3 they are usually able to be bought a little cheaper.

always suggest a lake test and a compression test.

• Baller

Barefoot warrior has a great wake and is a performance machine. You will want hydraulic steering.

Interior is tight, free board is low. Storage is under bow so trying to get under there for skis etc with people in the tight interior is tough. Small ski platforms. I'd say it's simply too small for you and your family, and agree with @ReallyGottaSki it's not your safest option. It's a racing kart on the water, corners flat with super high g's. Coasts forever after you pull the throttle. Not screwed together all that well, either.

Needing an open bow and thinking inboard of that general age: MC 205. Room, good wakes, open bow, nice big platform, storage space, higher freeboard, no wood to rot.

• Baller

Got to throw in another plug for the mid-90's MC 205. I've had my '93 for 23 years and absolutely love it. Easy to drive, great slalom wakes, plenty of family room. Keep looking, they are out there.

BTW: @CPC_1 That is a gorgeous CVX-16 you have there! I spent many a summer evening skiing behind one of those in the late 70s and early 80s.

• Baller

MC maintenance is largely the same from ~83 to 93 - No wood, small block ford with a carb. LT1's in 93+ more maintenance from my experience - mostly fuel pumps and things like crank sensors. I'm starting to get a bit gun shy on the EFI systems from the 90's - Price out the computer for a MEFI 1.

Because the Tristar didn't come out till ~87 it was all composite every year.

• Baller

For that kind of money you could get a pretty good 90s machine, maybe even late-90s, that would be a noticeable upgrade for you. Prostar 205, Ski Nautique Open Bow or a Malibu Sunsetter. Look for one with Perfect Pass. Do an on the water test, and have someone who knows ski boats look at it. Be patient and wait for the right deal to come along.

What area of the world do you live in?

• Baller
@CPC_1 - lots of great inventory within easy driving distance of there. Start surfing Ski-it-Again inventory, and OnlyInboards. Your 89 PS190 leaning is also a solid option. The86-90 PS190 hull was great. My daughter had a 90 that we skied for years. Bulletproof boat. The 91-94190 is as you’ve already learned even more revered as one of the best slalom hulls ever. You could be wildly happy with any of these boats. Shopping is half the fun!

• Baller

@CPC_1 I have a friend not far north of Chicago who has a 96 Malibu Sunsetter with the Monsoon Engine with Perfect Pass for sale that might be in your price range.

That year is a great all around boat, good slalom wake awsome barefoot wake lots of room with the open bow.

• Baller

@CPC_1 I was in the same situation as you few years ago, found a great 1991 Prostar 190 in the middle of your price range in Michigan. There's not a ton of room in them like most inboards, but we squeeze 2 spotters on the front seat fairly often. Found it easiest to pull the back seat - more room for moving around.

I searched for only fiberglass stringers, so Malibus and Nautiques (mid 90s+) tended to be a little pricier than the MCs.

Maybe someone here has skied one to give some feedback, but the Supra TS6M kept coming up in my searches too, seemed like a solid ski boat at reasonable prices too

• Baller
The cost of a boat is not what you paid for it; it's the difference between what you paid for it and what you sold it for. DO NOT SETTLE for less than the boat you need/want. The bottom end on that Malibu or that Dyne is 8 grand. If it still runs good and looks decent, it's worth 8 grand. You have minimal downside to either option. Don't buy cheap and spend every other month fixing it.

• Baller
The mid-90's Hydrodyne inboards often fall right in your price range. We've been really happy with our 94 Hydrodyne Grand Sport (open bow version). They do have wood in them, but are solidly built, and have a little more room than the typical inboards of the time (both interior-wise and freeboard). There's certainly better wakes out there, but they're very capable ski tugs (aside from a healthy 22-off bump).

• Baller
91-94 MC Prostar 205 is “everything” better than Tristar. Bow seating in a TS is really tight, platform integrated into hull design made the rear seat mostly useless due to proximity to doghouse. Tracking/driving/wake of the 205 is as good as it gets for that era and a low cost entry into direct drive boats. Other good choices exist, I’m just mostly familiar with MC and own a 92 205.

Hey all — following up on this feed since we’ve narrowed down our search to a 1989 MC Prostar 190 and an 1986 Ski Supreme I found on Ski It Again ... but before we dive into an inboard...the lake we vacation at (we rent the lake house) at the end of the dock the water is shallow ... to my knees, so about 20”... of course, we don’t run the boat that shallow but will it sit in water that’s so shallow? On the old CVX we tilt the motor out of the water when parked. Any input on docking that shallow?

• Baller
You could make an extender pipe to get the boat in a little deeper. Back the boat in, disconnect and add the extender to get another 10 feet or so. Extender is basically a pipe with a trailer ball on one end and a trailer coupler on the other.

• Baller_
Docking in water that shallow likely will be problem when high waves or rollers from surf boats lift the boat up and down. The running gear and tracking fins would hit the bottom during the wave troughs. The boat would need to be on a lift or in deeper water when sitting for an extended period.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Couple thoughts on depth - Its probably deep enough but there are these bungee cord mooring systems where you pull the boat to the dock with a rope and then let it out with the bungie. Perfect for these sorts of things. That way when you're done unloading/loading you just let it out about 10 feet from the dock into deeper water.