Reflex Supershell 5.0 or Classic?

emwheaton

What is everyone's preference between the two? I've been on a Syndicate Hardshell the past couple season, but want something with more adjustability. I like the canting adjustment of the Supershell, but I'd also like to experiment with a slightly pigeon toed stance. The supershell has a molded footbed, so the only way to accomplish that looks like it would be rotating the plate on the ski (Is that even possible? It is not with my Syndicate). With the classic plate, it looks like you'd be able to use the two set screws to adjust where the heel sits. I'm assuming the new "U-base" provides the lateral stiffness that the molded footbed provides? Why would they not put the canting adjustability on the classic boot?

• Baller

Essentially none of these accommodate any sort of misalignment between the boot heel ledge and the release body. Even the old reflex with the set screws - those really were only to hold the boot "centered" while you snapped the release and originally had plastic thumb screws.

If you really want to trial a stance I would first and foremost figure out your front boot placement, then I would mark the plate next to each of the screws (position first) and use something like a dremel to oblong the holes till you can achieve the front boot pigeon toed position you're looking for. Use finish washer or large head screws to cover those oblong holes. This will essentially allow you to rotate the plate slightly on the ski.

Otherwise you need to switch boot systems to effectively rotate the boot on the plate, mob/fm evo etc.

• Baller
Yeah, get the classic, cut the top.. use the plastic screws to move the heel a little if you want, try it, like it or go back to center. When you are sure about your favorable position, screw 2 blocks on the plate, one on each side of the shell to keep it in place and stop it from having any play.

• Baller
You need to be careful if you use the plastic screws to rotate the heal. A few years ago I move one screw out and the other one in and the screw that was all the way out broke as I was going through the wake and the heel slipped sideways out of the release. The trip to the ER was not fun.

@T_C that was my concern. I'm familiar with the release, and it doesn't seem like there's much play for the heel to rotate and the release to still operate properly.

I do like the molded heel cup on my syndicate plate, so it seems like the best setup may be the super shell plate with classic boot.

If anyone has an older version of that setup they're looking to sell, send me a DM. Size 10 LFF

• Baller

I have a black cuff on my trick and supershell on my slalom, I wanted to try the black cuff for slalom and briefly looked at dropping the black cuff boot into the supershell plate. The heel of the boots is different and the odd fit was enough for me to not feel comfortable trying it. I believe the heel cup prevented the black cuff boot from sitting flat on the plate, making me think the release mechanism might not function properly.

I do plan to try swapping plates this summer to try out both boots on my slalom.