High end skis for all?

Horton

• Administrators

There was certainly a time with I thought it might be a bad idea to give a top of the line ski to a skier who does not yet shorten the rope. Also the current generation of mid-range skis are so good that I can understand less advanced skiers not looking to high end skis.

A few weeks ago I totally changed my mind on this. The local Radar rep dropped off some Vapors for college kids to try. These skiers are all 28 to 32 mph skiers. Most of them were skiing on what I would consider to be logical mid-range skis. Every one of them not only loved the Vapors but immediately skied better. The kid I coach the most moved her PB by 5 balls within 3 sets on the Vapor.

I now recommend the 2020 Radar Vapor for skiers at all levels.

• Baller
Don’t make me spend my wife’s stimulus check on a new ski. Mine is already earmarked for the bindings. My 2018 Vapor is just fine , my 2018 Vapor is just fine , my 2018 Vapor is just fine.

• Baller
This does not surprise me in the slightest. I've tried to get my wife on an intermediate ski, as she's an open-water, -15 off girl. She always comes back to my Vapor, which I guess is "our" Vapor now. She feels it's far more stable and predictable. It's not just the Vapor either, as she felt the same when I/we were on a D3. I just think the high end sticks provide the best of everything, even if you're not pushing them.

• Baller

Oh boy. I really hope this isn't true. I'm not ready to spend that money right now dangit!!!

Were the 28-32 mph skiers adjusting the length of the ski at all to account for the slower speeds?

@brooks can you please confirm that Horton is just crazy and I don't need to go blow two G's on a new ski?

• Baller

For reference, here was my personal best at one point last year. 5 @34.2. I ended up running it a few days later and at one point even ran two of them in a row. So the ceiling on my skiing right now is just a touch above what you see here.

Previously, all conventional wisdom said that this made me a perfect candidate for a Senate (lithium in this case - 2018). So far I have loved my ski for the last year and a half. Part of me wants to be told that I could possibly ski better on, for example, a vapor pro build. Part of me doesn't want to hear that at all.

I assume there are a lot of guys out there in a similar place as I am.

• Baller

One of my student got 2020 Vapor graphite couple of months ago.

He started to ride on it from 26mph 15off.

That time was middle of winter and skied in drysuites.

But he immediately improved his PB to 3 at 36 /15off after about a month later!!!

2020vapor looks very working for him. Tip stays down, keeps great angles and speed and make predicable turns. hhwqyad9hnsd.jpeg

So jealous!!!

• Baller
My 15 off wife loves her Vapor. This is her second. When she got her first she felt a huge confidence boost in her skiing because she knew she was good enough to handle and benefit from a top-end ski. Sure enough, she jumped a couple of passes.

• Baller
Horton, Which Vapor? Pro, Lithium, Graphite, (Did they make an alloy Vapor?). Seems like 32mph course skier is in the sweet spot for the Graphite Vapor. At least according to Radar’s marketing. If it was a 28mph skier on a Pro Build, disregard what I just said.

• Baller
I'm about to try that experiment in reverse. Just finished my second year skiing the course. PB is 28 off at 34 mph, but I do most of my practice skiing at 32 mph working on 28-off. I ski on a 2019 Vapor Pro -- I like how it performs at 34 mph, but not so much at 32 mph. So I just bought a 2019 Senate Pro hoping for better performance at 32 mph while working on getting stacked and improving handle control. @Horton Bad idea? I don't know. I'll let y'all know how that works out :-)

• Baller
This is very interesting and I'm going to closely watch how this idea develops. I've been wondering about this for quite a while. When I was younger I always skied on the best equipment I could get. I ski on a Senate now but it is getting older (2015 model) and I've lost enough weight that I want something smaller. Why not try out a Vapor?

• Administrators
@Jaypro that is the theory and I do not disagree with it. I am just offering anecdotal evidence that hi end skis can be very successful for lower skilled skiers.

• Baller

I'm really interested in how the high-end shape with the low- or mid-level materials work for (i) mid-level course skiers and (ii) free-skiers (e.g. vapor/senate graphite, senate alloy, non-syndicate Omni).

On the one hand, it would be a sad state of affairs if we felt everyone carving at 28mph "needs" the newest $2,000 ski. On the other hands, if the shape really is better for anyone 28mph and above, it might makes sense for companies like Radar to re-think their broad product lineups and how to hit strategic price points while still giving people the best ski for their level. Would it be more profitable to offer 2 shapes and 3-4 layups vs 7 shapes?

• Baller
@Horton, might be interesting to have the skier you are coaching to ski on both a Senate and Vapor and compare. You have a "controlled testing group" and variables could be kept the same or close to it. Results would be of interest to the ballers, I am sure!

• Baller

I think it always circles back to, try before you buy. When I stared skiing the course I had the opportunity to try many skis and the high end just did everything better (easier turns, faster across course) Their were a few that would set more of an angle out of the buoy than I could hang onto at the time, did not know that a fin could be adjusted either. I put my GF on a mid line ski because she had never skied before and wanted a wider ski to make it

easier to get up on but that would turn and get her into turning buoys