Use a GoPro to help train a new driver

Horton

• Administrators

So my current driver has driven 32 off or shorter less than 10 times. The question was how to fast track her skills. In the video below it is clear that we have some work to do but she is coming along.

What other suggestions do you have to get a driver up to speed faster?

• Baller

Mario and I talked about that ;)

Just watching her from the video, I'd say tell her not to be afraid to lightly "counter steer" before she feels you. Looks like she is waiting to feel you, then counter steers lots but it's too late.

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller
Show her this video (if you haven't already) and ask her what she thinks without criticizing. -32 shouldn't be a problem as is, but it will get a little harder for her and the skier at shorter lines. Let her drive a few more sets and let her look at the later video.

• Baller
Have her start to drive to where she is in the course not so much the skier i.e. start to counter at the spot of a skier who is on time (I presume being early in the season you are running B2B's) This will start to create the rhythm of driving and the feel of the skier will come fairly quickly. Pretty impressive for a newbie, she actually looks quite relaxed =)

• Administrators
@DUSkier I think having a drive learn to sense the skier is much more important than assuming where the skier is based on where the boat is in the course.

I agree with @horton. Drivers need to practice with the skier. If you trust them enough to pull you then they are good enough to keep them in between the boat guides. @Horton has a great idea here. It would really be cool if you could somehow split the screen and see where the skier is relative to the movements on the wheel. Obviously hard to tell from the video but looks like she is reacting to the skier. Should now work on being a touch more proactive and a little less movement on the wheel.

• Baller
@Horton @Chad_Scott I agree 100% BUT you are wanting to fastrack her skills? It is worth a try, I've used this method with a number of drivers with good results. Go pro is an excellent idea as well and have used this on the windscreen in front of the driver to compare hand movements with other drivers. With the right setting you can see skier on both sides of the course so no need for split screen.

• Administrators

@DUSkier I think the most important thing a driver can learn is to know where the skier is.

Here is a 35 from yesterday. "The Girl" is still moving the wheel too much but considering how many rides she has ever driven I think it is pretty good.

• Baller

Just as important for the driver as the skier is practice gate setup.

Looks like you catch her by suprise with your gate pullout at the greens.

She needs to anticipate that countersteer more, very difficult to get in sync with the skier otherwise.

• Baller_

@Horton - Awesome topic, thx. I assume that many a skier on this forum ends up 'training' driver(s).

Particularly for those that end up training driver(s) of opposite gender, of 'particular relationship status' or those eager youngsters, training tools that both assist, maintain a manageable stress level and provide usable tips and skills with a low stress interactive feedback methodology would be awesome.

In other words, there is certainly a lot of expertise on this site that meets those requirements.

• Administrators
@ScottScott My skiing is actually a little bit messy right now so it's a little bit hard for me to judge the driver. I ran four 32's and four 35 that set. Except for once or twice when she made an obvious mistake it was pretty good. The most encouraging thing is when she made a big mistake she knew it without me telling her.

• Baller

Would it be helpful to move her steering hand lower on the steering wheel? I find when I drive for a heavy puller I’m smoother by having my hand at 7 o’clock. I will also rest my forearm on my knee and use wrist movements for correction instead of full arm movements.

Some people are audio learners, would someone vocalizing the “load” at hookup possibly help to learn the feel and anticipation?

• Baller
The dream for myself as an aspiring driver is a split frame with time synced video like the first video Horton posted and end course so I can see exactly what I was doing and what it came out as on the water. My 2 cents