USAWS insurance

disland

• Baller

The issue about insurance came up on the "can we have tournaments" thread so I thought we could start a new one about insurance.

Can someone explain exactly what the USAWS insurance gets us. Us meaning the skier and or the host club?

My one exposure was when I got hurt at a tournament I filed a claim but it was of no value to me as it only applied as a secondary insurance and had a large deductable.

Sorry if I am too lazy to go read the policy, but seriously who does that?

• Baller
I'm not going to read the policy either - if it is even available to AWSA members - but there is an Insurance Resources pick on USAWS&WS' website that has an "Insurance Mythbusters" subsection that is only two pages long. It may answer many of your questions.

• Baller
@disland remember you are talking about two different types of insurance. One is the supplemental insurance for skiers/officials who get hurt at a tournament (pretty sure it includes travel to/from) as well. The second type of insurance is a liability policy for clubs. They are not the same.

• Baller
The insurance worked well for an injury I sustained at a tournament. It paid as secondary and covered all of my out of pocket expenses. No fuss. I know you can also sanction practice and provided you have a trained driver and safety (I think) on site the same coverage applies. You do have to sanction the practice and with the suspension of sanctions that is not an option right now.

• Baller

I was hurt in a tournament. The insurance was secondary to mine, but when it was all said and done the USA waterski insurance picked up about $5000 that my insurance did not cover. I did not have to pay for a dime in copays etc. It worked well for me and was easy to file. Just make sure you local safety director fills out the paperwork that day and gives it to you.

You can also buy a separate liability policy for things like a slalom course on public water. Our club took out this additional coverage as it protects us if some yahoo runs through the course when we are not out there, hurts themselves and decides to sue us.