Phones In Boats

ozski

• Baller
@ozski , unfortunately, all the time... It is almost impossible to get anyone under 35 out of the phone for more than 2 minutes... It is annoying, but an undesirable fact of life. I have seen drivers texting/voice messaging while in the course.

• Baller
I do not feel comfortable for someone that does that, they will not be concentrating on the pass, but thinking about what they are going to text at the end of the pass. Either they put the phone in the glove compartment, or I would not ski behind them, period.

• Baller_

Well, the sport has to be fun for everyone. If I have to spend a long stretch in the boat to make my skiers happy, what gives them the right to dictate how I do my job? All I owe them is a good pull and to be ready to go when they are. Why should I sit there numbing my mind while the skier and passenger jabber between passes? I have a life, too.

Tournaments and lessons are a different story.

Lpskier

• Baller

I guess my crew is old, no one looks at their phones in the boat unless s'one calls them and they recognize it as important/urgent...and likely expecting it so listening for the phone. IF my driver was jacking with their phone all the time while I'm in the water I'd say something.

There are times I'm "on call" and have to check, but even that I can usually wait til a set is done (unless it's one of @Razorskier1 's epic 45'', 30 pass sets)

• Baller

If your need to be jacking on your phone while driving, you’re not going to drive for me. End of discussion. Fortunately my drivers don’t have the need to be in constant communication. We are not that important. Don’t care what they do when we take a break or resting between tugs.

I have my phone onboard for emergencies, calls from the COB or CEO, or as needed for important calls. If I get one of those calls when I’m driving it can wait until we drop and take a quick break.

• Baller
John, Everyone is different. I typical wait 30 sec at each end, up to 50 sec if our water is high and need to water to settle, that is from boat set down, until rope tight and ready to go. If my boat crew has to get to their phone for the 20-40 secs before they need to get boat straight and rope tight, I don't want them driving me. When i am sking, it should be about me, not them.

• Baller
@UWSkier, we have done it too. I loved that my ski buddy was willing to drive while on a call. I think I let the lake settle for an extra minute for the time when he had to speak. The driving was great. He finished his call and immediately started his set. Good times.

• Baller
Owning a small business, I have to have my phone with me and occasionally I have to take calls for emergencies before a set or at a drop. I will NEVER pick it up while I am driving. If it is something I can't handle in short order, I will have them drop me off at the dock and someone else can drive who can focus. We are all out there to get a break from life for a bit, I hate if I screw that up for someone. @ALPJr and @pregom might have a different perspective though :)

• Baller

Shoot man, I can't say I've ever had a problem with a driver messing around with his phone while pulling me. If I ever skied with a guy that did that, I just wouldn't call him anymore - he's crossed off the list.

The spotter on the other hand often has a phone in his hands, especially to record the guy skiing. Obviously I have no problem there. If a disinterested spotter happened to be on his phone, I still wouldn't really care, because I really only need him in there for the weight anyway.

• Baller
This actually just reminded me, last time I was out, it was me, a ski buddy, and my 10 year old boy on my boat. I was out skiing, and I had just dropped and my father in law called. My 10 year old answered. He starts trying to ask me questions out in the water in stuff. I told him to tell Grandpa I would call him back in a bit. After he hung up, I let him know very clearly that while there's a skier in the water, phones don't get answered. He was happy to comply, of course. He just didn't know. He's 10 after all.

• Baller
@"Keith Menard" I think you said it right. When you drive, you drive. A couple of times I remember you asked me to answer on your behalf and I had to try to remember names and details long enough to relay them to you. Thanks for driving!

• Baller_
@JackQ Different skiers require different amounts of driver concentration. And drivers that pull 50 pulls a week need less concentration than drivers that pull 5 pulls a week. And it matters if there is a passenger. If there is no passenger, the skier usually wants to talk to the driver at the ends. If there is a passenger the passenger and skier have the conversation and the driver sits there.

Lpskier