When the injury is your own fault…

Luzz

• Baller

A few weeks ago, I gave an interview for The Injured Athletes Club podcast (here and here) which released today.

I'm sharing it here because, as you'll hear, I talk about my Achilles' rupture in 2014, at time I was skiing the best I had ever had. Sometimes performance and extra buoys cloud our judgment, and they certainly did so for me.

I'd love to hear if other skiers can resonate with that and if they have had similar moments.

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller

@Luzz. August 2015, just making some fun passes, easier line length, messed up at 5 ball, but pulled late to get 6. Really dumb. The pass meant nothing.

Hit 6 buoy in a weird way, hyperextended front knee, blew my ACL.

Fortunately, surgery went well using hamstring tendon graft. Great PT. Ready to ski again the following spring.

I can only hope I make better decisions from now on, especislly when it is only practice. But, I'm not convinced I always will. Things happen fast. ?

• Supporting Member

When I read the title of this thread, my instant thought was that I should make a "clever" response that you must not be an American, because Americans know NOTHING is their own fault.

imagine my reaction when I opened it and realized that was literally true!!

• Baller

Just a reminder that your boat insurance policy has a Medical Coverage component.

Boat US is $5000 per person limit and it increases to $15,000 for immediate family members.

Nice to remember with the higher deductibles many carry on their regular health insurance.

• Baller

Pretty bad ankle and achilles going for a dumb one at 38 off grazed the ball, ski hopped and stopped.

Barefooting for some girls in the boat on a day with a wind advisory...was all fun and games til the concussion.

• Baller

Tore my Achille throwing the ski around 2 @35 off. Was late and my stupid brain decided to go for it even if i wasn t going anywhere after 2. All i could have done is stand up and take the hit...Stupid move.

100% ruptured Achilles

Season was over for me.

Be safe outhere and remember kids:there is no 100%safe bindings!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller_

Many years ago, when I took skiing much more seriously, I was having a particularly bad slalom set and got very frustrated. I missed a relatively easy pass, skied inside a buoy and was so P-O'd, while still moving pretty fast, I threw the handle in the water as hard as I could. Of course that motion threw me way off balance and I busted my ass.

After several summersalts, I came up laughing at my own stupidity and decided it wasn't such a good idea to get so pissed at myself.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

My season here in Aus ended prematurely after a tibial plateau fracture. Got a plate and eight screws in there now. Just got off the crutches after 3 months. On my eighth and final pass went down at 5 ball 14m (28 off), don’t really know what happened in the fall but boot did release and knew I was stuffed when there was a lump out the side of my knee - part of the tibia.

I’m still pissed off that I was even going for it, I was tired and conditions weren’t great, should have had 6 and went home. I think this will affect next season as well missing half of this one. ?

• Baller

@DW I"m especially good at stupid sometimes.

@rockdog two seasons ago I had free skied a few times in the spring, water temp maybe 45-50, drysuit stuff. Chance to ski with @razorskier1 after test-drving a car...beautiful day and his course was in. Both in drysuits we ski a set of 28 off openers in a head/tail. No missed buoys for either of us, we each ski 8 passes, knocking the rust off.

As we finish the water goes dead flat. I'm like hey may, wanna run one more short one? Look at the water.

I jump back in and ski three easy passes and decide one more then let Jim finish up. Fourth pass is my easiest one yet, SO far ahead. Somehow I got deep out of 4 and into a lean-lock--closer and closer to the water, faster and faster--was really hauling ass by the wake. Second wash body makes contact in a full stack position with the water and I lose the handle. Sliding on my right I had time to think "keep the ski out of the water" but the drag of my body caused me to roll forward and I also lost my back foot...then the tip caught with my front foot still in the ski and basically tried to rotate my lower leg off--mighty lot of hardware in there.

This relates to your story cuz I wasn't even pushing it...I can run 28 off in my sleep--still don't understand how that happened.

• Baller

Cold water can sneak up on you like that. This crash from late December doesn't look that bad but it cost me 60 percent of the range of motion in my neck for about 10 days. Simple free ski turn in cold water. Lot of energy loss there. I couldn't send that much water flying doing a can opener off the high dive. ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6bN-QZhAaL/?igshid=1jurnu1wfgku0

• Baller
Doing course maintenance and got P'd off with all the weeds, started yanking them up by the arm full and noticed they were floating, Duh. Thought this can't be good, but since no one was skiing that day, it'd be ok. Wrong, a buddy showed up later... i forgot about the weeds and excited to try new fin setup. Just free skiing and turned just past 3, BAM!!! down just as I was reaching Get back up, start skiing again and BAM!!! down again, turns out in the same spot. Bruised ribs, sprained ankle and a mild concussion. Lesson learned, if you're going to pull weeds, put em on shore, on the platform or make sure you don't ski until the next day.

• Baller
Two bad incidents for me. First was burying the tip at 2 ball at 35. Full Achilles tear. Surgery and 6 month rehab. Second was a fall in full reach at 2 at 35, which resulted in a full shoulder dislocation with torn labrum, bicep tendon and rotator cuff, surgery, and a 9 month rehab. I dont like 2 ball (LFF).

• Baller
Broke my ankle with binding that was too tight. Damaged ligaments in that same foot in an OTF, which is when I learned that even loose bindings don't release well with size 14 feet. Just hurt my rotator cuff in an OTF 3 weeks ago. Now I'm in PT but the doc said I should be good in maybe another 6 weeks. Think it's time for a serious intervention so I stop these OTFs.