Rear boot vs rear hybrid style binding?

Shakeski

Hey Ballers,

I am sure this discussion has been had 100 times. I just changed to a thinner liner on my front hard shell boot and instantly noticed a major advantage. For me, I love the feeling of the ski directly under foot (which I noticed on my set last night). It has me thinking about my rear boot now. I am currently on a Radar Vector (which I find very comfy) but I do not do up the laces hardly at all on it and I feel as tho there is more cushion underfoot. Since I now notice such a major difference in my front boot, it has me thinking a thinner rear might be equally as good feeling.

My question - has anyone gone away from a full rear boot to something like the Reflex R style and what did you notice? Do people like the change? What is there to be expected? I cannot really try anything like it first sadly, so looking for input here.

Cheers!

• Baller
I had an Ho animal and went to a r style. When I went to the hardshell I had issues with the flexibility (perceived at least). At first I just didn't tighten the laces, then I eventually went to the r style. The r style took me a while to get used to as I just didn't really trust how much room I had back there. I wouldn't go back now and love it.

@keithh2oskier thank you! I am glad to hear you loved the outcome. I am studying a lot of video from my sets and I do not like how dependent I am getting on my back foot on my off side at shorter lines. I am hoping that the adjustment this early still in my skiing life will help promote more front foot pressure. Cheers!

• Baller

@Shakeski since you are already running the upper laces loose, just remove them completely. You will get the same general feel as the R style boot.

Too much influence from your back leg can be detrimental to your off side turns. The lower cut r style boot helps eliminate that. I cut mine even lower, below my ankle.

You can feel better connected with a thinner foot bed, you can even cut the bottom out of the liner, which I have tried. But at some point comfort can also have a bearing.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

I’ve gone away from double radar bindings to a radar Hrt. I was running the rear laces loose as well.

I felt comfortable straight away and love being able to kick the rear foot out after a couple of passes. No negatives to report.

I did try a rear kicker as well, I struggled with that!

• Baller
Has anyone here run a Radar Vector as a rear behind a Reflex with success? I have seen plenty of Wiley rears and R-styles. One of our skiers has double Radar Vectors and may be moving to a more supportive front boot.

• Baller

I tried to make a rstyle substitute out of an old boot and didn't like it so I went to the Radar HRT - which has been OK I'm running it fully unlaced. Biggest issue I have with the HRT is that I got the regular size which fits well once I'm in but can be a bit of a hassle getting into in the water or after getting up.

I'm doing an RTP transition currently by riding a fat ski behind pontoon boats after work. Coming along swimmingly and by that I mean I've been swimming a lot.

• Baller
I just switched from double Radar Vapors to the rear HRT Boa; easy transition. When on the ski platform and in the water it feels (and is) looser than what I am used to. But once up and running, I forget I am even using an HRT. Much easier to get into and out of. This morning I had the first opportunity to place my rear foot back in while still in the water after an easy fall. Just popped the Boa dial, slid in my foot and dialed it back tight; relatively easy.

• Baller

@BlueSki to use the vector boot as the rear boot with a releasable front, remove the upper laces...

@BraceMaker I could not ever put my foot back into the HRT after getting up. I have an older version and I put stretchy laces on it.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

Just an update - I switched to the Reflex R style and fell in love from the FIRST set!!! I just tied my PB with the set up and do not plan on going back to a full boot... EVER. :D only issue is my entire ski life I have been in double boots and now have to build my spray callus on my ankle a bit lower... its a bit sore and swollen at the moment lol - Cheers everyone! thank you for the insight!