Ski set up for short line

Buxrus

I heard and or read that if you’re running your opening passes easy and smooth, this set up on your ski will not work for 38 and shorter.

I open at 28. Right up to 32, then run 2 35’s. I can’t miss. Virtually automatic. Then purple shows up. Typical is 2-3 at 38. Several times in a week I may get around 4 and get over to 5. My frustration is why can I crush 35 then it all goes away at 38 ??

So if a change in set up is necessary, what to do? More DFT? Less depth? Wing angle?

I’m 58. LLF. 2019 radar pro build. Regular fin and wing. Reflex front. Kicker in rear.

Have at it.

• Members
Agree that fin set up is not likely the problem. Coaching to identify and correct your limiting technique flaw and slowing the boat down 0.5mph to learn the rhythm of 38 are likely your best solutions. If you have a fin set up you crush 35 every time on, I wouldn’t start changing it.

• Baller

@Buxrus a setup that works for shortline will feel a bit draggy and slow to turn on your earlier passes. If your setup feels free and light with very quick turns at the longer lines, you’ll struggle with keeping the line tight and over turning as the rope gets shorter.

You have to keep in mind that you will be moving faster into the buoys at 38 than 35.

So typical adjustments you can make to get your ski working better for shortline include:

Fin back

Fin deeper

Fin shorter

More wing

The fin is adjustable for a reason, use it B)