How to get that extra lean angle?

cragginshred

• Baller

When I watch the pros they lean, and then lean a little more than anyone I've seen at my lake. When I try to get that extra bit I end up lean locked and pull too long. -28 to -32 is the context here.

It seems obvious that this extra lean angle aids in an early snappy edge change due to the increased force on the cutting edge.

What's the key in working toward this increased lean angle?

• Baller

IMO, how to increase lean angle is the wrong question. As a matter of fact, when pro skiers are running 28 or 32 off, they are not leaning a lot.

In any case, your ability to lean and get back up relates to your strenght to weight ratio and agitily. If you struggle leaning and getting back from a 60 degree lean using a rope tied to a tree, not likely that you will be able to do it behind a boat.

Pros have a snappy edge change because they are strong and agile athletes with really good technique, not as a result of leaning more.

• Baller
I think it's a function of them being super patient and always being just a little bit ahead of their ski so they "keep turning" into centerline. Most normal skiers grab angle off the turn and just sortof try to hold onto that trajectory as they go. Most really good skiers seem to be super patient finishing the turn and stay ahead of their ski and continue building more and more angle into CL. It's more pronounced as the rope gets shorter and shorter, but you see them doing it even at 32.

• Administrators
@cragginshred more lean is not the answer. Assuming your position is rock sold you want to lean as little as you can to hold the angle you have.