Another Boat Shopping Question

Johnseed

• Baller

I am finally getting around to shopping for our first DD boat. I am looking at a 2000 Malibu Response LX and had a couple questions. 1. The boat has the 'Malibu Cruise", how will/does that compare to PP ? 2. The boat looks very clean and well maintained, other than a mechanical inspection what else should I check out (I've had an I/O for 20 years and obviously there is a difference) - I'm thinking rudder, shaft, etc - what what am I looking for? 3. Asking price is $19,900 which seems high even if the boat is in great shape, am I correct or what is the ballpark value?

The boat is in Cincinnati to give you a market. I appreciate the comments and help in advance.

• Baller

IIRC in 2001 the RLX got a new dashboard which was a nice improvement. That price seems way high. Malibu Cruise I think just holds a set speed via RPM, pretty basic vs PP. in general I really like that boat/hull.

Malibus during that time period had a very leaky box of water essentially over the prop shaft in the hull that was problematic called the hydrophonic dampening system or HDS. Make sure that’s not leaking.

Lots more info on theMalibucrew.com so check that site out.

• Baller

Agree with @jhughes. If you are going to ski the course you will want PP. My friends who have had that era RLX did have an issue with the HDS. I have a 2002 and have had no issues.

The price seems quite high. I would think 15K for a low hour perfect condition boat would very top of the range I think 12-13K might be more in line.

• Baller_
Malibu Cruise simply has a set speed option and does not have the features of PP such as skier and crew weight adjustments, ability to adjust for wind, no adjustment for type of pull nor a timer for course times.

• Baller

Was there any factory installed speed control available in 2000?

My 2001 Response had PP installed aftermarket.

Had the Malibu Cruise in my 2008 VTX and it was crap for skiing in the Speed setting. Gassed you on the edge change and slowed down in the turn. Completely out of sync.

Was better to use the RPM setting and not the speed setting.

That era of Response has a very nice wake for all line lengths.