Should I upgrade from 80s Connelly Shortline

dazarovitz

Seems I've been stuck in the 80s for a while. My boat is an 89 Mastercraft and my ski is an early 80s Connelly Shortline 67". I've been skiing on this ski since the 80s and enjoy it. I'd say I'm a recreational skier, I ski 3 to 10 times a summer. I don't ski courses, I ski at about 30 MPH and with the rope shortened by 1 section (but not sure what length that is). I just like making some hard cuts, trying to push myself a little and having fun. The ski is a single boot and I tore up the front binding this weekend. Is it time to upgrade or should I just turn up some 80's rock and fix my Shortline. If I upgrade, what is a good budget friendly upgrade? I am 5'10" and typically 180-185lbs. Greatly appreciate any and all suggestions!! Thanks!!

• Baller
In a word, yes. I have a Shortline II, once in a great while I will put it on for a free ski, omg, it's not a good ski. ?. Even if you only upgrade to a 2005-2010 ski you will feel a huge difference. For your weight and speed bump to a 68". It will simply work better than a 67, and be more fun.

OMG !!!!!!! Upgrade dude. I bought a 67"Radar Senate Pro last year, the rules of the game have changed. I weight 185lbs @ 5'11" and had a 67" short line connelly, yellow one, 1981?? The new skis are so much more enjoyable and fun to ski with,,,,,just like a good boxspring under your mattress it does all the work for you. Budget ? You dont have to buy a pro built I just saw a Senate Aloy and Senate Lithium on "ski it again" for $360 and $575.

It'll change your life ,just make sure to tell the wife You wont be home for dinner

ps: Dysco is right, its not a good ski :D

• Baller

Yes yes yes, you should upgrade.

When you say you "just like making some hard cuts" that makes me think that my position paper might just apply to you as well and that you might likely will be the most happy with a ski toward the top of the line typical labeled as "course" skis even though you don't ski the course. You can find it here. It's somewhat controversial, but worth considering nonetheless.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-NiENHZt0sC7WDBaeVk6QK9OJzQ4-DYISGE1h_PPjPI/edit

Thanks for all the feedback!! I read @escmanaze paper and I do fall into the category of wanting to make a big spray and getting my shoulder/elbow close to the water. I'd like to try a course, but our lake is small with no course. I've been skiing for 35 years (on that same Connelly Shortline) so I'm decent, but I am also now in my 50s. With that in mind, what early to mid-2000s skis should I consider? Should I go with something like a Senate, Omni, or V? Should I stick with 67" or go 68" Also, I have a 20 year old soon that is 6'2" 215, he wants to start skiing again too, What size is recommended for 6'2", 215lbs?

Again, thanks for the feedback!

• Baller
An old roommate of mine sent his 80’s Shortline to @Connelly_Skis_Inc and it can back looking like new. Send it to Connelly and tri a @Connelly_Skis_Inc ‘V’ while your waiting for it to come back.

Based on all of your feedback and some other reading on BOS, I think I am now looking for a Radar Senate, HO Carbon Omni or a Connelly Carbon V. Most of what I am seeing on SIA is 1 or 2 years old and more than I'd like to spend If I find a decent used ski/binding that is 5 or so years old, what is a fair price?

• Baller
Bindings are like skis. Can spend $150 or $1000. Many many options and an even more personal preference . I’d look at them separately. Shopping is half the fun. Would agree with @liquid d that if you’re never going to buy another then get a good one now.

• Baller

Ski-it-again is all about timing you can find stuff for sure.

I also follow Action Watersports on Ebay - https://www.ebay.com/usr/awsfenton?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

The other thing about action on Ebay is that they'll respond to offer requests - so if they have something that intrigues you shoot them an offer and see what happens. If they accept call them up and try to get a package going for new boots. Front boots are now pretty much universal to whatever brand ski, but make sure when buying a rear to consider something like a Wileys universal RTP if you don't use doubles that will bolt to pretty much anything you'd ever want to try in the future.

• Baller

Post your price range, foot size (left or right forward) and if you prefer double boot or RTP and I'm betting that someone on here will be able to help you out.

Check your Facebook market place and Craigslist. Sometimes people just got out of the sport but have decent skis for sale. Anything from 2000 or newer. If you are ok with rubber bindings, Wiley's are an easy replacement/upgrade to what you are used to.

@Dysco foot size = 9.5, right foot forward and I've only used RTP. As for budget, I'd like to stay under $300 for ski and binding for a Radar Senate, HO Carbon Omni or Connelly Carbon V; hopefully 2010 or newer. There isn't much available in the 2010-2015 range on SIA for these skis. Is my budget expectation reasonable?

• Baller

@dazarovitz ya - kind of unreasonable - for one a ski from 2010 is already 10 years old and I'm not sure if any of these skis were out in 2010, maybe the Senate?

If you consider that most of these skis are also under constant revision I think there have been ~4 or 5 versions of the senate released since 2010. Its sort of like buying a BMW - a 3 series is a 3 series is a 3 series, but there is a difference between years and some are in better condition.

• Baller
  • Baller

@dazarovitz Back in 2006, I was still skiing on a 1987 or 88 HO Mach 1. I finally convinced myself that I should to get into this century so I bought a what was then state-of-the-art HO Monza. I found it quite different from what I was used to and couldn't really do anything on it on my first run. But after I made some adjustments to boot position, I got the ski to where I could get it to turn a lot easier and found the Monza was pretty forgiving and easy to ski on. It was then I started to fall in love with it.

I was absolutely gobsmacked at the difference between the two skis and what a difference the Monza was making in my abilities. My skiing notched up several levels really quickly after the switch after having plateaued and staying pretty stagnant for a lot of years before. In hindsight, I was kicking myself for having stayed on the Mach 1 so long.

I wholeheartedly recommend you relegate the old Short Line to a wall hanger and get something at least from this century. But get something that was high end with carbon fiber construction and at least a PVC core. Even if you just get something mid 2000s like an old Monza which you should be able to get pretty cheaply, it'll be light years ahead of what you're used to and your skiing ability will increase a lot. If you can swing a bit more cash, move up into something a bit more modern but the jump from something like a Monza to something a lot more modern will be relatively small compared to the jump you'll get from your old Short Line to the Monza. That jump represents a quantum leap in ski design and material technology.

Thanks for all the info. I found and bought a Connelly Carbon V on SIA (it’s in the mail). Soon enough, I’ll be skiing a ski from this century. I also found an old Connelly locally that I can strip parts off of to get one more weekend out of the Shortline. I’ll post an update after I’ve skied the new ski a few times. Thanks again for all the feedback!!

Well, here is the update I said I would post for anyone else considering upgrading from an old water ski. I've skied the (new to me) 2015 Connelly Carbon V 7 or 8 times. It took a little getting used to, but my kids say I am skiing better than I ever have. I am still getting used to skiing faster (was skiing at 28-30 mph, now at 34), but it is easier getting up and less effort overall. On the downside, I was feeling good yesterday and got more aggressive with my cuts; something went wrong and I lost it coming across the wake. At 52 years old it hurts more when you fall and your foot doesn't come out of the boot - ouch! With that said, I like the new ski and am having more fun skiing than I have had in years. Thanks for all the good advice.

• Baller

Could slap a Reflex boot on there as your upgrade and keep the ski???

That's not serious at all by the way. My first ski was a Shortline. After a few years I thought it would be fun to take out of the rafters and run a few passes on it. Almost killed myself at -22. Quickly realized it was more fun to look at with nostalgia than ride.