Malibu boat stopped working

BTheis

• Baller
Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. We have a 2001 Malibu lxi with a 325 indmar monsoon engine. Just out for a cruise when it cut out and had to get towed home. It seems to be electrical, it will crank but not fire. Put gas directly in the throttle body and nothing.

• Baller

No alarms or beeps of any kind before it happened? Just running at cruising speed and it stopped?

If you turn the key on but don't try to crank, do you get the beeping from the dash and do your gauge needles all spaz out?

Cheap thing to try first is a new ICM. It's a little electrical module that sits on the plate below the distributor and has two wire bundles attached to it. Take it to your local auto parts store and ask for a replacement one for a 1992 Suburban 5.7L. Shouldn't be more than 40 bucks. Use plenty of heat transfer paste when reinstalling as heat kills them. Usually when they go bad, you'll get poor running quality, but I've heard of them killing the spark completely too. You'll need to pull the distributor to access, which is a great time to inspect your rotor. If it's neither of those things, move to coil.

• Baller

If you want to visually inspect the pick up coil,yes you'll have to pull the entire distributor.

Start with the ICM.Very frequent on that engine generation.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

Yep. Start with just removing the distributor cap. If you pull plug wires, make sure you remember where they all go. If they're numbered, I find a cell phone photo of the cap and wires works great when reassembling. When you pull off the cap, lift straight up. Check for any slop or play in the rotor. If the rotor is wobbly or loose on the shaft, you're giving up horsepower. Below that will be the ICM stuck to the distributor plate with some heat transfer paste. Looks like this (may be different color).

41GQqDKnEpL._AC_.jpg